Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,910   Posts: 1,521,589   Online: 839

Shooter
    35mm

Is this SL66 broken?

I just received an SL66 that was supposed to be in excellent condition. The bellows will not extend out for focusing. Everything else seems ok: shutter, magazine, winder. But when I turn the focusing knob the lens and bellows do not extend out. Does not matter if the tilt knob is locked or not. No movement outward of the lens or bellows. Is there some trick I am missing, or is this broken?
    Thanks very much,
    David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi David,

First, welcome to Apug!
    What you described sounds definitely like a defect. There is no other possibility. I would return it or deal with the seller about a price reduction and have it repaired. The latter is a risk nonetheless, because you don´t know what is damaged and how much it would cost to fix it.
    Let us hear about your decision!

Best regards, Benjamin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The bellows need to be in the "normal" position in order for the bellows to extend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is not really correct. The bellow can be extended in every angle, but it cannot be fully retracted when the lens is tiltet,
    thus the tilt has to be at 0° when the bellow is set to infinity.

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you very much. Can you recommend a good repair person in the USA for this camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    could be a loose screw jamming on the body... I'd try to rack it out with the focus knob while unlocking and trying to tilt the lens... just something to try. It's clearly being blocked by SOMETHING.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just return it.

Images
    How well was this packed if it was shipped to you? One reason I ask is that Jurgen Kuschnik (German SL66 repair person) told me to take care to protect the focus knob, which he described as the most vulnerable part on the camera.

In the US, Harry Fleenor knows this camera and has the parts for replacing, if needed, but there will be a considerable time wait. When my SL66 arrived DOA on the bottom of a box (ineffective air bubble bags) I sent it to Jurgen Kuscnik, who got it working perfectly. http://www.jurgenkuschnik.com/

Perhaps you could send Jurgen an e-mail describing your problem. Working properly, the SL66 is of course a lovely machine. Perhaps the seller will work with you on the repair price, or maybe a return with refund is the best option.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin