Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,432   Online: 909

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The rb travels well - it is virtually indestructible. However the standard 3-lens kit that I usually want amounts to a way, waaay heavier bundle than a typical 4x5 LF 3 lens kit. The problem with the rb, for travel, is that the lenses are so freaking heavy and bulky. Lately I have been traveling with the m645 pro and it is far more suitable, at least for my taste.

But the ultimate medium format travel kit, in my opinion of course, is the mamiya 6 system.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    The rb travels well - it is virtually indestructible. However the standard 3-lens kit that I usually want amounts to a way, waaay heavier bundle than a typical 4x5 LF 3 lens kit. The problem with the rb, for travel, is that the lenses are so freaking heavy and bulky. Lately I have been traveling with the m645 pro and it is far more suitable, at least for my taste.

But the ultimate medium format travel kit, in my opinion of course, is the Mamiya 6 system.
    I totally agree, on a trip to Hawaii last year I was going to take the RB but at that last moment I decided that my Mamiya 645 was the one to take. I took a 55, 80, 150 and a 105-210 zoom. Even with the inserts it was a joy to use as usual. The RB would have been nice but the 645 is a lot lighter. I used Rollei Pan 25 and the results were excellent. I have a leaf photo in the gallery that was taken with that combination. I have done testing and have the focus screen adjusted to the tee.

Ideally I'd love to have a Mamiya 7II. I'd could enlarge or sc*** them and make d****** negatives for Carbon or Platinum. Let's just say here that I'd make enlargements, as the leaves in the gallery is a negative scan I did enlarge it on fiber based paper and it looks similar.

The RB has a place in the scheme of things, going on a plane and travel mobility isn't one for me. But, I have the option of changing my mind, if I need a larger negative on roll film and a revolving back and hadn't gotten a Mamiya 7II, which is remote at this point.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    I went around the park and zoo for 6 hours last week with my RB. I ended up carrying it most of the time, and I didn't have a terribly hard time of it, unless I was reloading. I use the standard kit of 127mm,WL,120 back, and no strap. I would have preferred a monopod for some shots, but for zoo snapshots with my girlfriend it just wan't worth more hassle, she already thinks I'm crazy for taking the RB.
    There were times I wish I had my F3 instead, but I'd lug that RB with me anywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    OK, so I stretched it a bit due to its reputation. I put mine in a back pack with the body, wlf, prism, three backs, and two lenses with accessories and walked around Arches National Park for a "while" with my wife. It wasn't that difficult at all and when we got back to the truck my wife said the bag did overburden here much on the way back.

So it can be done easily and I'm just ten years younger than johnnywalker and have lift that bale tote that barge pills to make it happen. Only problem now is I've had to go off of the lift that bale tote that barge pills, some, not all. If I lightened the load and planned the excursion I could do just fine and there is nothing wrong with a stroller to haul it around. They even have Nation Park approved ones. I haven't tried sitting in one yet but I'll give it a try when my wife is not working all the time. I could even load backs sitting in there, or just take a nap until we're at the location. Just kidding of course, life isn't that simple is it? I said to the Doctor the other day that I felt a little stressed these days and he said, join the rest of us.

I really like this camera a lot and have never regretted getting it. BTW I think Mamiya is an excellent camera manufacturer.
    I always thought Curt that the Mamiya Corporation missed a real business opportunity in not having as part of the RB/RZ system a Mamiya truss for ones hernia
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use mine for street shooting, but have stifled the urge to bring several different backs and lenses. My setup in an old vivitar grip mounted on camera and then mounted on monopod. It makes for a good balanced package, even without the mono extended. I use the slik mono that is spring loaded. Works out just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I carted my RZ67 complete with two backs, two lenses, two light meters, filters, colour and b/w film plus a few other accessories and a tripod across Russia which included 6 flights and three train journeys plus lots and lots of walking...and although somewhat bulky I don't regret it. Even thinking about heading back with my 5" x 4" later this year.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I carry mine all over the place with one back and lens. I have a Lowpro Trekker backpack so there is even room for snacks!
    Web Site and Blog Follow me on Twitter Mamiya RB67, several 35MM cameras and an old Voigtlander Bessy that I use as a paperweight

Shooter
    35mm
    My RB kit consists of a 65 and a 127, plus two backs. I've sometimes used the left-hand grip and shot handheld, but most of the time I shoot on a tripod. (I try to shoot on a tripod whenever possible, even with 35mm). If I add any more lenses to my kit I'll need a bigger bag, but I consider this a reasonably portable camera.

When I shot large format, I was known to take my Calumet CC401 monorail camera into the field (camera in one hand, tripod in the other, film holders and miscellany in a bag over my shoulder). So I may have a slight bias on what constitutes "portable."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In terms of "portability"; if you are an old man like me: start using Steroids and Growth Hormone. I use it in the Studio on a Tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Relativity

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    So, if I wanted to add the Mamiya RB67 to my growing collection, how portable is it? I already own a Mamiya 645Pro, which is fairly easy to lug around. I don't plan to use it for street photography, although I have read of some people using it for just that. But how about lugging to a site? I try to avoid walking more that half a mile. If I have to go more than that I just might decide it really isn't worth it. I'm looking for some portability at my age!

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen
    I was thinking about " relative portability" of Mamiya RB 67 equipment, and think yes it's a great idea, get a relative to lug it.
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin