Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,587   Online: 895

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Les makes some good points. I also use 5 backs, and that's part of the reason I use a Bronica S2A--used backs are around $80 a piece and they take both 120 and 220. This would get really prohibitive with a Hassy.

If cost is a concern, then you might ask yourself whether you can take better photographs with a smaller Hassy system or a larger system of some other brand. My Bronica system with 9 lenses, 5 backs, prism, 2 bodies, grips, tilt-shift bellows, extension tubes, and other accessories cost me about as much as a Hassy with three basic lenses and two backs, including what I spent to overhaul both bodies and a few of the backs. I figure I can take better photos with, say, the 40mm or 500mm lens in my bag than the one I can only dream of.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you enjoy using true quality equipment then the Hasselblad has no equal. It seems to inspire you to live up to that quality and take the time to do things right. (At least IMHO.)
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harveyje
    If you enjoy using true quality equipment then the Hasselblad has no equal.
    I have to agree here with respect to Hasselblad. One doesn't have to buy a Aston Martin car or a Louis Vuiton hand bag or any other luxury item. But, people do. Buying a Hasselblad is like the purchase of a photographic muse in your hands. For me it is.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a delightful discussion!

My lab technician is on vacation and the person who was to process film this week couldn't make it. So I won't get my 120 film back until next week. I don't trust it to anybody else. I had hoped to see the results and make a decision before I head to the Rainforest next week.

Any thoughts on whether I will forever regret being in the rainforest with only a 35 mm, having waited an extra week on the MF?

About the Mamiya's, etc. ... I want a 6x6, and from what I understand, only Hasselblad and Bronica make 6x6's of any repute. Rollei makes a TLR, but I understand that is a rather involved contraption to manage. I'd like to be able to use the MF to shoot children, for instance, so I need to hand-hold and be able to change settings easily.

Again, I thank you for sharing your thoughts with me so generously!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaHL
    Any thoughts on whether I will forever regret being in the rainforest with only a 35 mm, having waited an extra week on the MF?
    The thing about MF is that it will slow you down, as you discovered. Almost like savoring a creme brulee versus chomping on a chicken wing! So I'm not sure you'd regret not having your Ferrari of cameras in the rain forest. Now I take my Hassey everywhere I go - even on vacation - so, I'd go to any jungle with it.

It just depends on your level of passion in photography. If you want to 'feel' that picture being taken, then you will regret it. On the other hand if just see so many monkeys and such and wish you could spray and pray, maybe a 35 mm with a motor drive would be best - even, dare I say it - a digital camera!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Unless you've used a Blad, you can't really comment on them. I have one and put it thru the wringer for years. I also had a Bronica S2A which I loved, but it became to hard to get it repaired, was to bulky and was heavier than the Blad. The optics on the Blad are better too (sorry David!). With the prices dropping thru the floor on used Blad equipment there really is no excuse not to buy one if you want the best.

For my Blad I have 50mm, 80mm, and 150mm lenses plus a 2X teleconverter. I also have a close-up tube for macro stuff. For my style of photography this is all I need. For backs I have 3, all of them A12's. I do a lot of international travel and my Blad goes 90% of the time. I use so little 35mm these days my Nikon's are packed away and I use a Bessa R with 35mm and 90mm Leitz glass.

I just came back from the cloud forest in Costa Rica and on that trip I took my 4x5 field camera. The only reason I took it rather than the Blad was because I knew I would need the movements the LF camera gives me.

Have fun!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Although I used to be more of the shoot and see what turns out kind of mindset, I am trying to change that. I see each exposure as an opportunity not to be wasted. Unless it's something I really want to capture, I won't be happy with the results anyway. I've also been learning a lot more about the technical side of things in order to achieve my visions more thoughtfully. That is one of the reasons that the MF intrigues me. Discipline could accomplish much of the same (the slowing down, valuing each exposure) with my 35mm, but I may (will?) not get quite the same level of result as in the MF. I find that it is worthwhile to take my time thinking, seeing, connecting, and then finally deciding on the exposures, etc. before shooting. Most of the time. There are times when an opportunity presents and I need to capture it with speed.

When I told my family (parents, sister, and brother-in-law) how much the 503CW was (there's one at a local store, used, for $2600, but it comes with a remote control, prism, and winder, which I don't think I necessarily need), they flipped and thought it outrageously expensive. But when I compare to the ebay prices, that seems about right.

Any thoughts on places to look? I looked at KEH, B&H, Samy's, Henry's. The prices don't seem any better there, if they have any Hasselblad equipment at all, except that I could piece a smaller system (and choose my own lend) if I bought at KEH (but there, the same system as above would cost $3100).

I'll start another thread asking about whether y'all use prisms and winders; perhaps I underestimate their utility.

Thanks again! This is very helpful to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Everyone is entitled to my opinion -- thank you

Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    Unless you've used a Blad, you can't really comment on them I have one and put it thru the wringer for years.
    MF cameras are the most diverse of all formats. You can find folders, RF, SLR's, cameras with movements and others that are fixed focus -- producing negs from 6x4.5 to 6x17.

I can appreciate that you want or like the 6x6 size, but it might be better to buy the camera that fits your usage.

Less and David like lens selection and the fact they can swap films at a moments notice. Eric seems to have bought the Hassy lens hype and abuses his cameras.

I like a camera that is handholdable at very slow speeds, packs easily, takes 120 or 220, doesn't twist the film back upon itself, has the worlds sharpest lenses, doesn't have geologists checking their seismographs everytime i release the shutter, syncs at any speed, (when I was single) convinces those of the opposite sex to get buck naked at moments notice and it produces a 6x6 neg.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    I like a camera that is handholdable at very slow speeds, packs easily, takes 120 or 220, doesn't twist the film back upon itself, has the worlds sharpest lenses, doesn't have geologists checking their seismographs everytime i release the shutter, syncs at any speed, (when I was single) convinces those of the opposite sex to get buck naked at moments notice and it produces a 6x6 neg.
    And what is your camera of choice? The answer eludes me, despite your clever, witty post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Less and David like lens selection and the fact they can swap films at a moments notice. Eric seems to have bought the Hassy lens hype and abuses his cameras.
    You bet, after using Bronica, Yashica, Mamiya I really couldn't see any real difference so I went with what looked really cool. Kind of the BMW image of cameras. Also the Blad was better at wedging under the back wheel of the 4x4 so it won't roll down the hill.

Now you really are describing a Blad, aren't you?!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin