Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,159   Online: 763

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Why did you choose MF?

I think I'm going to purchase a 6x6 MF (Hasselblad 503CW) this week, though I'm a tad nervous at the investment (I feel a bit too inexperienced to own a MF). I am wondering why y'all chose MF for yourelves?

Thanks! I am so looking forward to the replies ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bigger negative, pure and simple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaHL
    I am wondering why y'all chose MF for yourelves?
    Interesting question. I was in one of those 'moods' shall we say. I looked at my life at the ripe old age of 30 and wondered where all my talents had gone. At that time I was a very corporate person and was quite successful at it too.

But I had 'lost' all my artistic abilities. I used to play the sax, so I went out and bought a sax and now I play every now and then at local places. I used to be quite a potter, so I now I go at least once a week and create tea pots and bowls and mugs for my friends and family - and my reports at work for their Christmas gifts, birthday gifts, etc.. and my admin for her special days - like her wedding for example. I was quite the athlete too and got back into the sports I liked - and others I never tried like SCUBA.

And I use to take pictures - a lot. When I was 12 my dad gave me a Pentax ME for my birthday. I used to take pics for the school paper and university I freelanced for local papers. So 8 years after university I wondered, where did my passion for photography, like all my other passions go? Surely the corporate world didn't suck all that up?

So I cleaned up my Nikon F4e, bought a new 28-70mm zoom for it, and then went to Calumet in Chicago one day to get a polarizer filter. Well, passing by the Hasselblad display and seeing the 'toys' made me wonder. Looking through the display model and holding that wonderful piece of engineering in my hands, sealed the deal for that sales guy.

The square format has unlocked my passion again. I just love taking pics with my Hassey. Add to that my rediscovery of films, like Scala and infra-red and my new style of photographing beautiful women - you could say I was hooked.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Pamela,
    Good questions are hard to answer easily. Every camera format has its charms. Years ago I used to have a Mamiya 645 and sold it/ traded it in for a Leica M. Never regretted it but.....not so long ago I dug out the old 120 negs again and found they were easy to print. Also the subjects I took pictures of were different..as if more thinking had got into them. MF slows you down a bit and that can be a good thing in certain situations.
    Drawbacks? Yes, plenty: more weight, you'll have to have a handheld meter etc. Anyway I acquired a Pentax 645 and glad I did.
    If you're nervous about the amount you are about to fork out...wait awhile..with the digital revolution in full frenzy all things analogue can only become cheaper.
    Once you have really decided full-heartedly you won't regret it. Looking back will only land you on the shrink's couch anyway :-)
    Good luck
    Hans

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought one (Mamiya 645) on an auction site real cheap... Can't remember what made me bid, but am happy I did. My camera is a real beater but works and I've since added a couple of lenses, also cheap... I'd like a camera with changable backs so always on the lookout for something suitable (not Hassy though... can't afford the lenses!). The larger negs are much nicer to work with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pamela, the basic reason for a MF is the image size and consequent increase in information recording capability that goes along with it.

If you are unsure about this purchase, consider renting a camera and trying it out that way.

Another less expensive way to "get your feet wet" is to buy a good used Hassleblad or a twin lens reflex (Yashica, Minolta, Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, etc). Bruce Barnbaum got into B&W photography with a Yashica TLR.

If you choose the "used" route, find a good, reliable MF camera repair person to check out any cameras you are interested in.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the larger negatives. The thought of winding another 35mm roll onto one of those dang blasted *$^%#@& reels *&+#@$ kinks &%^$@$# doesn't fit right #%#@&^$ in the dark &$#^@#%& bends *%^@&&%$@ sticks together in the tank *^@$#^%$ hate them.

My Mamiya 7II feels like a pregnant 35mm to hold, but weighs nearly the same. I love it and the ease of using it. It doesn't have interchangeable backs, but to me that is the only down side of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, yes no interchangeable back, the old story. Rubbish! Once you have found something interesting to take/make a picture of....what's a roll when things are rocking?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bigger negative. Greater system versatility. I can go from 45mm to 300mm with my Pentax in a few seconds. This gives me a greatly enhanced range of angles and "looks" for my shot. I can also make 12 images in the time it would take to set up my 4x5 (even though I use a speed graphic). There are a few good reasons to use large format still (individual zone placement, large negative for alternative process) but with modern films medium format is the way to go otherwise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pamela,
    I have to say pretty much the same as everyone else - bigger negative, easier to print. But what actually got me to make the jump was a friend placing a old Rollieflex in my hands and then when I looked down at the focusing screen, I was hooked!
    Couldn't afford a Rollie so I got a Yashica MAt 124G. Shooting and printing those bigger negs was such a dream.
    I now have a couple of Fuji rangefinders and love using them.
    If you are tentative on the Hassy price, used Bronica SQ-A's are very affordable these days. Good luck with your decision.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin