Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,453   Online: 1163

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad Problem!! Lightleak? HELP!

I've posted this problem already on apug on a different section. But the problem wasn't solved and then some new problems! so here it is.

At first i was getting these lighter edges on the sides of the pictures, as you can see from the picture, against the black border, theres a thin line that's lighter than the rest of the picture. First i thought it was some sort of light leak, so people here suggested that i replace the light trap. I did, but that didn't fix the problem. This is the first roll i shot after replacing the light trap. The shots came with a dark vertical line a little to the left of center in every shot. But only really visible if the picture is somewhere in the midtone range, i can't tell in lighter or darker images.

I think this couldn't have been a light leak, cause if it is, shouldn't the black border itself get exposed instead of the picture part only? Anyone know what's causing the brighter sides? and what caused that dark vertical line? I am so confused.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As regards the black line, inspect the film back. I had similar streaks on a couple of rolls from my Bronica ETRSi (they were a bit more distinct though). I discovered a sharp edge in the film back that scratced the emulsion of the film. So, carfully inspect the neg for scratches and the film-back for anything that could possibly cause the scratches, if any.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    First things first: what are you/we looking at? The negative? A print? A scan? Can you see these thingies on the film itself?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you're looking at a scan with the hasselblad scanner, it's from my school. these black lines only show up on this roll, not any other rolls. but the brighter edges have been consistent on all images.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I checked the back, everything seems to be smooth. couldn't find anything that could be scratching the film.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    the lighter edges looks like density build up that can be caused in developing. agitation being heavier at the edges, this is really common with large format sheet film, especially when developed in trays not adequately large. Perhaps it is a density buildup caused by the manner that the film is being developed.
    If it were a light leaked caused in the A12 back, I'd think it would be in the black border region... at least in my experience, leaking A12 backs or leaking 120 rolls showed up in the black border area.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Where light leaks show depends on where and when the leak occurs/occured.
    The 'usual' light leak is caused by the dark slide slot seal not sealing anymore, and light entering will hit the image area of the film. The black borders are that, black i.e. unexposed, because they are shielded against light by the edges of the film gate, and light cannot get there through a leaky seal.

Leaks occur at other places in Hasselblad backs too, but only very, very rarely.

One other place that could be responsible for the pattern we see is opposite the dark slide slot, where the magazine's front plate rests on the frame of the shell.
    If the plate doesn't sit properly (perhaps because the screws aren't done up tight, or because it wasn't put back properly the last time a dark slide slot seal was changed) some light could get in through the slot through which the gears of back and camera engage. Could, but very unlikely.
    It would be consistent with where the lighter band is.

However, it would not be consistent at all with how the lighter band stops where the lighter part of the subject stops also.
    Other places where light could get in exist too (for instance, if the magazine sits rather loose, light could get in between canera and magazine), but again it would be very hard (impossible) to explain how light entering from anywhere where it shouldn't could correspond so perfectly with th elight entering through the lens during exposure.

So despite the many words above, i think it is not a light leak.

The thing to figure out is how this artefact could echo the image content, appearing where the image itself is a bit lighter, not where the image is dark also.
    The fact that the dark edge of the frame, with the Hasselblad "V"s, remains clear could either indicate that the thing occured either when the film was exposed (light entering through the lens bouncing/reflecting off something. But what? And how?), or when the film was developed (edge between clear part of the film, i.e. where there is no silver to be developed, and exposed, developable part of the film. So an edge-effect of some sort?).

The fact that this only appears in one film would point towards it being a processing issue.
    But it's not 100% proof that it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to agree with QG...a lightleak would appear as white, not a dark line like the one you show, especially since there are no signs of it on the rebate...most likely a developing issue, since the line is not well defined like a scratch. K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you Q.G. that was really helpful.

Shangheye: I didn't say that the dark line is a light leak, i was talking about the lighter edges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks more like processing to me. What was your developing procedure? Also, have you verified that it's visible in the negative or only the scan?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin