Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,196   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry I didn't have enough time for more detail in my previous post.
    The noise you're hearing as you change slow speeds with the shutter cocked is the slow-speeds escapement wheel and its gear train spinning VERY fast. This increased speed of rotation with rapid changes of rotation direction (and increased force applied to other parts) does increase wear rate.
    Without the shutter cocked this part of the mechanism is disengaged, so no "scritchy" noise.
    As QG says the slow-speed train is engaged usually around 1/15. You hear the wheel & gears spin during exposure, just a lot slower.
    It's not something to be unduly worried about - I just prefer my shutters to last as long as possible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That explanation makes total sense. Not to be difficult, but it seems this extra wear would be different in switching from faster to slower speeds, rather than the other way around. No?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin