Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,363   Online: 752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hassy leaf shutter question

Or leaf shutter question in general, as I've noticed the same with my Rolleicord and Rollei 35.

After setting exposure time and aperture then cocking the shutter, is it a no-no to then reset exposure time? I just notice that when I do reset the exposure time with the shutter cocked, there's a scritchy-scritchy sound that does not sound appealing. Am I screwing something up here? With the Hassy it's particularly troublesome, because the shutter has to be cocked to frame and focus a shot.

Basic question then: once the exposure is set and the shutter is cocked, is it a no-no to change shutter speed?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No. It's no no-no.
    You can reset shutterspeeds and/or apertures at any time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good to know, thanks. It's just that little scratchy sound, thought for sure I was doing something wrong. I imagined the spring being set to a certain point, then changing it would screw it up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats the idea of the cross coupling - choice of shutter speed/aperture combination for a given EV.
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What shutter is in the lens (i.e. what type of lens is it)?
    And when does the scratching noise make itself heard?

It could be the longtime gear train engaging when going from faster speeds to slower speeds (i forget when the long gear train 'kick is', but it's at 1/15 or so, and slower).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's not forbidden to change speed after cocking the shutter - but it does increase the wear rate of some components.
    Setting speed before cocking is a good habit to acquire.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    On the older rim-set Compur shutters, you shouldn't change to the highest speed after tensioning the shutter. I agree that setting the shutter speed before is a better idea.

Almost always, you can change the aperture without any ill effects.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hasselblads can't be used unless you cock the shutter.
    And they have been using Compur and Prontor shutters, that have been set after cocking, for many decades, without a single problem.

So absolutely no worries.
    A non-issue.
    Never even think about it again.

Now to that noise again.
    It could be a sign of something being wrong (and if so, probably an old, well used shutter that needs service badly).
    Or not, of course. Mechanical thingies do make one noise or another. That's just in the nature of mechanical thingies. So it could be nothing out of the ordinary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    But it is the same little "scritch" that I hear with all my leaf shutters. Only on the first adjustment, say from 1/4 to 1/8. From 1/8 to 1/15, no scritch. From the answers here, I'll take it as a mechanical thingy, as you said.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Or the long time gear train slipping in and out of engagement, as per the speed you set.
    If so, also nothing to worry about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin