Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,703   Online: 886

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Considering your budget, I want to add the Bronica ETR series. Last year I got an ETR-Si (the last model in the series), 75mm f/2.8 E-II lens, plain prism finder, winding crank, and 120 back for $120.50, + $18 shipping. A lot of camera for very little dough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Nothing as cheap as a Holga", something around £100? Well, a new Holga is £60. So it is almost as cheap as a Holga! I paid £80 for a Diana F+ with a flash.

In the UK, to get an SLR MF body, wlf, back and a lens that still works you need this:
    For an RB/RZ at least £250-300
    For an SQ at least £180-200
    For any 645 SLR (ETR/Mamiya) at least £150-200

These are ebay prices, with a lot of patience and luck. For shops it is 1.5x-2x that.

So, while all the recommendations given for various cameras and systems are all very good, £100 will get you a TLR. Hint: check out the Mamiya C330F at ffordes. Almost at your price point.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    "Nothing as cheap as a Holga", something around £100? Well, a new Holga is £60. So it is almost as cheap as a Holga! I paid £80 for a Diana F+ with a flash.
    When he said "cheap as a Holga", i think he meant it in terms of quality. Holgas have the unique mix of being cheap in quality, but not cheap in price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    C'mon, starting with a budget of 100gbp, this thread is already way off track.
    Unless you are very lucky you're not going to get an SLR. But, a folding camera or TLR will be doable.
    Yashica, Minolta, Ricoh TLR's and virtually anything in a 120 folder. Folders can go from a few $$ to hundreds and pretty much the same range for the TLRs but he should be able to get something decent within his budget especially in a folder.
    Check out the classifieds here for a start.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What do you want to shoot with it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Occasionally Rolleiflexes come up around the 100 pound mark. Older post-war models, that is [but not Es or Fs which are usually quite a lot more]. Other TLRs come up in that price range often. In the SLR range, I paid around 100 for the Salyut-C I used to have. Soviet 'Hasselblad' copies don't have the best reputation for reliability, but mine worked perfectly well for several years. I solid it because I wasn't shooting it much anymore. Bronica ETRSs sometimes show up around 100 - 150 quid, from dealers.

I wouldn't personally go with a folder. They are nice things, but less versatile, I think, than a TLR or SLR type. But that's just for me, your mileage may vary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A strong vote for a Rolleicord V or similar. These are very small, very light, and very quiet. Unobtrusive for urban street shooting. You will be limited to one lens, which can be good. One camera, one lens, compose and expose.

For a system camera, try Mamiya m645.

If you gotta have a range finder, the unorthodox 6x7 Omega Rapid 100/200. Ergonomically perfect. A bit heavy and ugly, very under rated.

These should all be within your price range. Stay away from anything that was used by a pro, they worked them hard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    If you are just looking to try m.f. then either an old folder,some of them are very good value and very cheap, and can give great results, I know as I use them a lot, and even with a triplet lens stop it down to 8 and it's great, or4 there are some bargains in tlrs, I have a Weltyaflex i got for arounjd 30 pounds,and I get great results, pin sharp,in fact I spent this morning ptinting from a 50's folder, a ross ensign 12/20,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format

Don't worry about price in the long run.

When talking about price of these MF cameras, I would not worry too much as they all (the quality cameras) will retain their value over the next few years I believe. These all are values because they have dropped in price mainly due to the digital revolution, and the economy. A $300-$400 camera like a Mamiya RB67 Pro S is a great place to start if you are not turned off by the weight and size. These should be worth that in another year and you can sell it on ebay or trade it in for a TLR and get a good price I would think. So don't let the high prices of a Hassy or Mamiya scare you off. All you are really losing is the interest on that money. You might want to try things like strobes and such but those will be usable on the next camera you purchase. I would stay away from the less popular old folders, but there again you will be paying less no doubt. Remember too that many of these are mechanical cameras and you won't have to worry about a circuit board not being available in 10 years, or not being able to get a battery for the thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One easy way to spend too much money is to buy a cheap thing to try, find it's not the thing for you, get another cheap thing, again find it is not for you, then get [etcetera]
    It's cheaper to save up a bit and spend more on one carefully selected camera. You could use the time needed to save up to investigate what machine would fit you best.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin