Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,418   Online: 733

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film backs in fridge...?

Hi,

I am not going to be using my Hassy gear until July so I was thinking of putting some loaded film backs in the fridge via ziplocs. I have 3 E-6 rolls loaded and figure why not and what is the harm?

Anyone do this and is there any issue I have not thought about?
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I often take gear out in below freezing weather, I would not / do not store backs in the freezer. First, I don't know what long term exposure to freezing temps will do to soft plastic or rubber components. Second, ziplocs are not airtight (they are air permeable) so you are subject the equipment to the very low humidity in the freezer. Third, there is too much risk of condensation on internal components when exposed to more humid air (though this can be significantly minimized). All in all, I just don't see it worth the risk just to save some film. I would use the film up or, if loaded but not exposed, take it out and re-roll it.

Just my 2 cents. I'll defer to someone who has actually done this multiple times and can report on results.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin