Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,331   Online: 942

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Is the "C" model any different?
    The C models have a different, more modern multi-coating than the non-C lenses and are generally considered superior for color film.

Tim

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The RB generally has very good glass. If you have a sharpness problem, you either have lenses that are way off specs or were dropped when shipped etc or your focusing screen is not installed within specs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best thing is to have a repair place look at it through a collimator. If the image on that is sharp, then it is a problem in the viewfinder. It does appear to be a little soft. That would be great for older women, but not young gals. Ric.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is the lens clear or slightly hazed or dusty or dirty? Does the focus on the film plane agree with the viewfinder? Use a lens hood? Need more info n trouble shooting here, because RB lenses are generally very sharp.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To get an idea of how sharp, I use my Dicomed back on my RB, I get 6k x 6k images that are frighteningly sharp, they do really well on film, and really show their strengths with digital backs as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been shooting with the RB67 since the 70s, and I've rarely seen such good glass. Some of my negs have gone to 16x20 with no loss of sharpness, or contrast. I do agree with Terry about the tripod, and dual cable release. The RB can be a beast to hand hold.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a 90mm C lens, and it's pretty darned sharp. Back when I first got it, I took a full length portrait of a fellow of slightly above average height, leaving a bit of room at both the top and bottom of the frame. Under my 4X loupe, I could clearly read the writing embossed on the button holding up his jeans--it was absolutely sharp and defined.

I would be quite pleased to know my 35mm lenses are producing such resolution and definition on an equivalent area of film. Medium format lenses generally don't need nor boast resolution as high as lenses for smaller formats, as less magnification is required for the same print size. But my 90 seems to have just as high resolution as the top-of-the-line Nikon lenses I own. With that, I am absolutely satisfied.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Overall a nice image, with some comments:

- I see flare in the image from the angle the camera is facing the sun.
    - The two subjects are at different distances from the camera. At f/5.6 this will mean difference in focus.
    - The faces are in shadow, which may not create a sharp looking image.

Shoot a few rolls in different lighting conditions and see if you feel the same way about the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I only have the 90mm non-C lens on the Mamiya RB 67.
    Frankly, I'm unimpressed by it.
    Unfortunately, I feel the same. Today I developed the first rolls of film from my newly purchased RB67 with a 90mm non-C lens and was very disappointed. It didn't match the sharpness or contrast of my Bronnie ETRS 75mm MC lens. That means the whole kit is going back to KEH. I love the feel of the RB over the Bronnie, but the quality of the images comes first. I know others are very fond of their 90s so I'm guessing mine has some problems.

Cheers, James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had a problem with sharpness on my 90mm C. I've blown negatives up to 20x24 without any loss in quality and that's from me using it handheld. Though, this was in the middle of the day, with full sun, but I stopped the lens down to f/11 to give me more depth of field and bring out detail in my subject. I've found that shooting wide open is kinda sketch because you need to be dead on with your focus.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin