Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,530   Online: 949

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Is it possible to shoot 220 through a 120 back?

I have a pro pack of 220 sitting in my freezer that i would like to shoot but i have no 220 back. Is there any way i can run it through a 120 back of a Mamiya rz67? I really dont care about getting all the exposures out of it, I just dont want the film to go to waste. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Should be possible. If you want to be critical you could put a piece of 120 backing paper on the pressure plate. Is it possible to reset the counter with the film still in place? If so you could use half the film, reset it and use the rest.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes, but you waste half the roll. If you have a changing bag, you can open the back to reset the counter, then shoot the other half of the roll.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why not just make up half rolls from the 220. Easy to do, you just need an extra spool and some paper (which I typically keep when I develop rolls myself).

With the 120 backs I use, the lack of backing paper hasn't produced any problems when running 220 through. That's not a guarantee, mind you!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Invest in a 220 back. 220 is a wonderful convenience, unless you actually like loading film backs.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Offer your 220 film in trade for some 120.

or

With the RB backs, you can switch the 120 and 220 "innards", as long as you stay within the same version (RB Pro-RB Pro, RB ProS-RB ProS, RB Pro-SD-RB Pro-SD). If it is the same with the RZ, look for a beatup RZ 220 back.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Invest in a 220 back. 220 is a wonderful convenience, unless you actually like loading film backs.
    This is the line of thought to have, IMO, but you don't need the whole back. You can just get a 220 insert.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shot a roll with a 120-only camera before I realized they were incompatible- I figured out that the camera only would do 12 shots when it wouldn't take #13... The pictures came out OK, not sure if the film being slightly expired, the lack of a 220 film spacer on the film plane or general crappiness of camera was the main contributing factor, but the pictures did come out looking pretty cool, kinda vintage-y. Like they were from the 70s or 80s. It was probably all of the above. I agree with everyone else, get a 220 back!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the the advice! I really dont want to buy a 220 back in order to shoot 5 rolls so i will re-spool half of the rolls. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can get a 220 back (or just the insert) from KEH real cheap, especially if you're willing to change the foam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin