Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,715   Online: 943

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    C is the original
    S is the middle. S lenses have the same barrel materials (all metal), but a new set of optics
    N is the newest. N lenses have the same optics as S (if there is a S, some lenses went from C to N), but a plastic barrel. The innards of N lenses are still metal, but the outside isn't, so they are a little lighter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to add to what r1ma said... here's the full list of alphabetic designations that I'm aware of:

C – The original series
    RX – Only the 500mm mirror reflex lens
    S – The second series of some select lenses such as the 55mm and 45mm I believe
    (these were smaller than the earlier versions so "S" may stand for "small" or
    "short")
    N – The most recent series (maybe it stands for "new")
    N/L – The newest leaf shutter lenses (55, 80 and 150mm)
    A – As in "APO"

BTW, the 645 lenses shown on the mamiya.co.uk web site are the "N" versions even though on the web site they omitted "N" on the lens names for the links.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    So when you say new optics? Are they improved in some way over the C lenses?
    I think I have all C lenses (not that I would go and replace them with S or N lenses).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jsheridan1 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I noticed 80/1.9 isn't listed but every resource is useful since the information seems to be very scattered compared to most 35mm systems.

Here are couple of sites that have some information...not useful if you'd like to compare C,S and N versions :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...miyamed_2.html
    http://www.slrlensreview.com/web/mamiya-lenses.html
    Thanks for the links.

Anyone looking to rely on the article from the "slrlensreview.com" site should be very careful to note that all tests were done using adapters on full frame (35mm) digital and APS-C digital cameras - not on equipment using "sensors" (read film) of 6x4.5 size ????
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    So when you say new optics? Are they improved in some way over the C lenses?
    I think I have all C lenses (not that I would go and replace them with S or N lenses).
    Some of the "N" lenses are faster... the 150mm "C" version is an f/4 while the "N" version is f/3.5. Some have improved glass... the 300mm f/5.6 in the "C" version does not have the ULD glass that the "N" version has. Some of the "N" lenses are smaller than their "C" counterparts.

I've never done side-by-side comparisons between the C versions and the N versions so I can't say whether the improvements are really noticable in the final images. I've shot with various Mamiya 645 lenses and I've been very satisfied with the results regardless of whether they were C or N versions.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianW View Post
    Some of the "N" lenses are faster... the 150mm "C" version is an f/4 while the "N" version is f/3.5. Some have improved glass... the 300mm f/5.6 in the "C" version does not have the ULD glass that the "N" version has. Some of the "N" lenses are smaller than their "C" counterparts.

I've never done side-by-side comparisons between the C versions and the N versions so I can't say whether the improvements are really noticable in the final images. I've shot with various Mamiya 645 lenses and I've been very satisfied with the results regardless of whether they were C or N versions.
    Thanks for that.

I looked and my 80mm and 150mm have both N and C. . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Thanks for that.

I looked and my 80mm and 150mm have both N and C. . .
    That makes them "N" lenses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianW View Post
    The 45mm C that I have has a 77mm thread while the N version has a 67mm thread.
    Are you sure? My M645 45mm f/2.8 N lens definitely has a 67mm filter thread. It matches the 67mm thread on my 80mm f/1.9 C.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You were wise to buy the N. The C version has a poor reputation for sharpness, especially near the edges. I've used the N and it is superb though intriguingly, the older S is even sharper BUT is only single coated and prone to occasional flare and reduced contrast under certain conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin