Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,844   Posts: 1,582,650   Online: 1063

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite 6x6 brand?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bronica

16 11.43%
  • Hasselblad

51 36.43%
  • Rollei

39 27.86%
  • Holga

8 5.71%
  • Mamiya [6 rangefinder (?)]

24 17.14%
  • Exacta

1 0.71%
  • Seagull

1 0.71%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only have two [working] medium format cameras: a holga and a minolta autocord. As Minolta wasn't a choice I went with holga.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeremy,

Please post more about your Holga experiences. I've recently gotten interested in what's possible with cheap 120s. I've got the idea that it'd be cool to keep a couple in the car -- one loaded with fast film, the other loaded with slow. With a single shutter speed and two apertures, I'm thinking the Holga and development by inspection would be a great combination.

My wife, Dianna, has taken posession of the DSLR, and she's welcome to it. It'd be nice, though, for me to have something cheap I can keep in the car at all times for unexpected shooting.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaHL
    And Tom, why do you use the ARAX/Kiev 88CM the most?
    It is reliable, has an excellent metering prism (spot & averaging), has a waist level finder, a magnifying chimney finder for macro work, a ground glass back with magnifier (macro work, again), has a Pentacon macro bellows with a 150mm Rodenstock Apo Ronar lens, has mirror lock up, has interchangeable film backs (like Hassy). I have an extensive Schneider, Zeiss and Ukrainian lens system for it (ranging from a 500mm Zeiss through a 30mm Arsat fisheye). I use this camera system a lot for film and developer testing. I get high quality MF pictorial results as an added bonus.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format

they all will take a picture....

I've started it out with Hasselblad 30+ years ago and have always liked the simplicity of it. I also travel alot with this camera and I know I can find
    pieces or parts almost anywhere IF(very rarely) I need them. They are well
    made and have excellent lenses. Factors being what are you going to do with it. If you're going to scan your film then any of the MF cameras out will more than fulfill this for you. wants versus needs....

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The only 6x6 camera I own is a Voigtländer Perkeo I. That makes the choise easy, and voting impossible.

Now if you'd asked about 6x4.5, the choise would have a lot more difficult...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Jeremy,

Please post more about your Holga experiences. I've recently gotten interested in what's possible with cheap 120s. I've got the idea that it'd be cool to keep a couple in the car -- one loaded with fast film, the other loaded with slow. With a single shutter speed and two apertures, I'm thinking the Holga and development by inspection would be a great combination.

-KwM-
    Sorry for dropping in uninvited, but why specifically Holga?
    If you're just after cheap 120, why not try Czech Flexaret TLR? It produces *MUCH* better photos - if by "better" you think sharper, no vignetting, (usually) no flare, etc...

I've got one (Flexaret V), and I'm very pleased with it. Nice to handle, and unlike Rolleicord, you don't need to cock the shutter separately. You can see some of sample photos I took with it in my Flexaret folder on photo.net.
    It shouldn't cost much more than a Holga, handles better, and produces predictable results.
    However, if you're after that specific "Holga look", than it may not be what you're looking for.

Aside from that, to get back to the original question, my 6x6 shooters are the above mentioned Flexaret, Yashica 124G and a great Rolleiflex T. All very nice shooters - and I must confess that I'm particularly fond of the Rolleiflex.

Denis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    However, the 6x6 camera that I use the most is my ARAX/Kiev 88CM. This is a Ukrainian built Hassleblad derivative camera that uses the Zeiss and Schneider lenses from the Pentacon/Exacta system plus an extensive line of Ukrainian lenses.
    I have been contemplating the ARAX web site for some time, now - toying with the idea of one of the ARAX "metered" prisms for use on my Hasselblad 503Cx's. Any experience/ advice about those?

I wish ARAX would produce magazines interchangeable with the 'Blads ... I'd buy a dozen of those.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first MF camera was a C330f. Excellent camera. Then I bought a Hassy and had both for about a year or two. I ended up selling the Mamiya only because I was trying to consolidate my cameras and it didn't make sense to have 2 MF ones. Since the Hassy glass(Zeis) was better, I ended up keeping that one. I do miss the Mamiya though. That thing could be hit by a Mack truck and still be able to take a picture. They are built like a tank.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my 6x4.5's more often (Bronica & Zeiss Ikonta), but for 6x6 I use a Yashica D TLR.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bronica. My medium format career started with a Yashica 124g, I sold this to buy a Bronica etrs. Sold the Bronica to buy a digi (DOH!). Being without a MF for sometime I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow a Rolleiflex T, and a Hasselblad 501cm. Then I purchased a Mamiya M645, this was a real dog, probably because of misuse and abuse by a previous owner, but it out me off Mamiya and I'm cagey about buying used now. I binned the Mamiya and bought a Bronica SQB.
    Apart from the mamiya experience I'd be happy with any of the above, my primary reason for choosing a new broni over a used hassy was simply one of money, I very much doubt I'd be abke to justify buying lenses for the hassy, the broni is nearer my price range. (OK, so I'm cheap :-) ). I will say that I didn't find the hassy very intuitive to use, and I lost a lot of first frames. Fortunately I managed to not jam it up.

Cheers

Martin.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin