Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,438   Online: 1066

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite 6x6 brand?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bronica

16 11.43%
  • Hasselblad

51 36.43%
  • Rollei

39 27.86%
  • Holga

8 5.71%
  • Mamiya [6 rangefinder (?)]

24 17.14%
  • Exacta

1 0.71%
  • Seagull

1 0.71%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwmullet
    Flexaret? Never heard of it. Tell me more...

off to google!

-KwM-
    You could also try Meopta web site - the makeres of Flexarets (not produced anymore, BTW). Check the "History" link and choose "Cameras". You'll see all the different models they made.

I think they can be had from eBay for $50-$60, usually from Czech Republic or Slovakia (Meopta is a Czech company).
    The one I have (Flexaret V) takes slip-on filters and close-up lenses (I think 30mm in size). I also have a set of close-up lenses in various strenghts and a full set of filters for B&W.

As I said, it handles better than a Rolleicord: focusing is by a lever beneath the taking lens (like the Autocord, I think). I've never seen any lens resolution and quality comparisons, though.

But, IMHO, the lens quality should be just fine - at least from my experience.

Images
    My 6x6 camera is a Kiev 88 with a Vega 2.8/90 lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    How do you like it? I'm thinking of getting a bronica (either a "C", "S", "S2" or SQ model)
    Keeping in mind that this is the only med. format camera I have used for any length of time, other than YashicaMat 124G, I really like it. The only thing that I would have wanted different is that the shutter speed dial is on the left side of the camera body and I would have liked it to be in the front like a hasselblad - and hence a leaf shutter.

The older bronicas tend to have a lot of mechanical parts and hence the potential for malfunction exists. This is especially true of the "filminder" backs. The one I have was not working properly (the brass in the winding mechanism was worn out, a common problem) and the cost of repairing it was more than 2 times the cost of buying a 12-24 frame switchable back, so I went that route.

Other than this, I like it both mechanically and optically.

As far as SLRs go, S and S2 are dirt cheap and accessories for them are easy to find on the net. Just check if the backs are working right.
    Last edited by Shesh; 06-25-2004 at 02:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had my Hassy for about 10 years now. It has been a great camera and I will have it forever. I also use a Holga, and a Zeiss Ikonta folder as my small (snapshot) 6x6 cameras.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaHL
    The thread about why y'all chose MF in the first place took off a little bit on a discussion about whether Hasselblad is worth the money, etc. I've heard numerous conflicting opinions about this, so I'd love to hear some more. Which 6x6 MF do you use and why?

As always, I am grateful for your willingness to take the time to respond.
    I also started with a Bronica ETRS it was a good camera. I loved the 645 format.
    However I went Hasselblad for the durability and the fact that it is all mechanical. I also was assisting a Wedding photographer who required square format, so the hasselblad was the natural choice. Besides the Mamiya 67 is to bulky more of a studio camera, the pentax 67 is heavy, the mamiya 645 is to plastic for my taste. Yep Hasselblad all the way.
    Last edited by hitcher; 06-25-2004 at 10:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As I said before, first Rollei TLR (still have it and love it), Bronica S2A, then finally Blad. For the same reasons that most high volume pros went to them.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pamela,

I use two Voigtlander Perkeo IIs. Even though they are old, they deliver fantastic images.

Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a big fan of Mamiya TLRs...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My 6x6 camera is a Rolleiflex SL 66. Actually it's really my daughter's camera. It was given to her by me father-in-law. My daughter just turned 3 years old, so before she realizes what great ( in more sense then one) camera she ownes, I borough it from her. Lovely camera, weird possibilities, nice lenses, but very sluggish. Just what I like

JJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Mamiya C220 but it currently is out of action with something broken.

I do use a Holga quite a bit for fun and find that you can get some wonderful images with it. Best to have a couple, one with the shutter mechanism intact, the other with the shutter mechanism removed for longer exposures at night or with slow film.

If I have to replace the 220 I will probably just get another 220 or 330 off of Ebay or at a camera show. I like working with the waist level finder and it is a nice change of pace from an eye level camera or LF.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin