Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,525   Online: 946

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite 6x6 brand?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bronica

16 11.43%
  • Hasselblad

51 36.43%
  • Rollei

39 27.86%
  • Holga

8 5.71%
  • Mamiya [6 rangefinder (?)]

24 17.14%
  • Exacta

1 0.71%
  • Seagull

1 0.71%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I took the advice of another photographer and decided to try out the square format a bit more before I decide on which MF I'll include in my life. So, I bought a Yashicamat 124 that is really clean from a local used camera store. I was tempted to really check out the format difference by also purchasing the Zeiss Ikonta C that they had there in excellent shape. Or maybe the Kiev88, except that the 1/4 sec. doesn't always work!

Thanks so much for sharing all of your thoughts and ideas. You've opened up this world for me in so many ways, and I am so freaking excited to get started! It's already given me an idea for a series that I want to start shooting. And the bulb setting and ultrasharp lens on my new Yashicamat will be of help in that effort. Thanks!

[A gentleman at the camera store -- a patron -- said that the Japanese lenses were created for military use, so they're extremely sharp, whereas the European lenses were created for commercial use, so they have that softness for portraiture. True?]

Images
    Good Evening, Pamela,

I think that the gentleman at the camera store is guilty of at least a gross generalization and could probably be proven dead wrong by those interested enough to cite examples of various lenses. Nevertheless, your choice of a Yashica-Mat as an entry into medium format is likely to be a excellent one. Just keep in mind that normal cropping to print on standard paper sizes means that you're actually getting a 4.5 x 6 negative. The Ikonta C you looked at produces a negative that's about twice as large and is closely proportional to the standard paper sizes. I see three main advantages to the square format: more shots per roll than 6 x 7, same camera position can give either a vertical or horizontal, and the normal waist-high TLR shooting position makes it great for shooting kids.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Konical made good points, but when I shoot 6x6, I'm thinking in a square mode, and I print in squares later. At least most of the time. I think you should at least attempt to shoot & print in the square format, and see where it goes. Good luck with the TLR, I know i loved mine.

Hasselblad. Two main reasons: Zeiss optics and Flexbody.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For my 6x6 I started with a Rollie then several Hasslblads over the years. To me it is light weight, fast and sharp. It can be hand held or put on a tri-pod. I love the camera! recently I found a (thanks to David Goldfarb) Perkeo I in mint condition. Been having a great time with it. Course I guess cameras are like cars once you know how to drive teir all fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got my Exakta 66 after I started with a Pentacon Six TL. I had to heavily modify the Pentacon to make it easier to use to whit; replacing the original screen with an Exakta 66 version (which is much brighter) and fitting an adapted Kiev 60 prism which I bought from Baier Fototechnic. This modified prism also fits the Exakta. I own a range of Zeiss and Schneider Lenses from 50 to 300mm.

I also took the plunge and bought a Hartblei version of the Kiev 88 (which is compatible with Hasselblad backs). I modified this camera with an Acute Matte D screen and obtained a Hasselblad Chimney Finder for a song at a camera fair. The Hartblei is fitted with a plain 45 degree prism.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

It is not fair because I only could vote for my Rollei but I also have Bronica GS1 6x7 and I prefer the Bronica over the Rolleiflex GX!

Shooter
    35mm
    I use two old (1956/1958) KMZ Moskva-5 folding rangefinder cameras for
    shooting 6x6 MF, unfortunately this model is not on the options list.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gahh!!! The old "Square" vs. "The Standard Paper Format" discussion.

I have been printing "Square" --- not using all of the paper.

I think it is a valid format ... and more often than not - I prefer it.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a blad, very nice camera to use with PME finder. Lightweight (compared to my RB67 proS) Can't fault them except the cost of CF lenses other than 80mm. Would love a 100mm CF (supposed to be the sharpest lense you can get) and a 50mm for landscapes. Used to have a 50 T* but it got nicked.
    Also have several Zeiss Ikons, nice pocket sized medium format camera.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin