Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,687   Online: 1229

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite 6x6 brand?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bronica

16 11.43%
  • Hasselblad

51 36.43%
  • Rollei

39 27.86%
  • Holga

8 5.71%
  • Mamiya [6 rangefinder (?)]

24 17.14%
  • Exacta

1 0.71%
  • Seagull

1 0.71%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    A similar set up: I have had a Blad (500CM) for a few months now, and it is the most exciting camera system I have had for a very long time.

My very first camera (1958 when I was 12) was a 6x6 (Bilora Bella) and it was my only camera for 12 years until I bought a Voigtlander CLR 35mm. So I've come home, I guess. In the meantime, more 6x6s - a Zeiss Ikon, A Bronica EC, and I still have a couple of Rolleiflexes (3.5F Planars). The 'Flexes are superb - only limited by their being fixed lens cameras, but still used and loved - particularly when travel restrictions rule out the Blad.

I'm still trying to decide which marque to choose in the poll. Rollei or Blad? Blad or Rollei?

Decisions, decisions!
    Grain aka Clive Rowley
    justmono

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shoot Hasselblad - I purchased a used 500 C/M. I have 2 lenses (80 and 150) and 3 backs. Overall, it is a very dependable system with a lot of flexibility. I previously utilized 6X7 (Mamiya RB). I actually believe that the 6X6 format is more difficult to use then the 6X7. However, I grew tired of the weight of my RB. The good thing about Hassy is that if you are willing to shop for used equipment, the market is flooded with equipment by photographers who are going digital. Having said that, if you have any plans to go to format, I wouldn't purchase any MF camera. I'd just own a 35mm and a large format. IMHO, large format is less expensive and far better quality in the long run. I plan to go large format. When I do this I not only have purchase a big box with boards and lenses, I have to change out my enlarger which only goes to 6X7. Hope that helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hasselblad 500cm with 40cf 80cf 150cf, beautiful camera, beautiful format.

After shooting 35mm for a few years, I purchased a Lubitel 2 mf camera to try the medium format. A couple months after that I got a Yashica D TLR. Very nice camera. Unfortunately one day a huge honking piece of debris decided to settle at the middle of the taking lens. Fortunately I then came across a sweet Mamiya C220 with 80mm. It has been my main camera for the last year or so and have since added a 65mm and am now considering adding a 135 or 180 for it.

My Maxxum 5 only gets snapshot and family vacation shots now.

Roger
    Roger Bird
    Burlington, Ontario
    Canada
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~rogerpbird

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm a Rolleiflex sl66 user for my main camera - it is so versatile for MF. I cant afford lenses at the mo so I stick with the CZ 80mm planar standard - which is brilliant anyway.

I am a holga maniac too - have quite a few in various states of modification (as a holga should be) - oh and i have 2 lubitels, which i love for their simplicity (and cheapness)

Shooter
    35mm
    Y'all are an amazing wealth of information and enthusiasm!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Pam, I do most of my 6x6 shooting with a couple of Agfa folders. Since they are not on the list I didn't vote.

The one I use most is an Isolette III and the other an Ansco Super Speeex, a.k.a. a Super Isolette. The Super Speedex is for films that are pain to use with a red window film advance.

The 75mm Solinars are very sharp at f/8 to f/16, so I don't know about "urban legend" regarding the softness of German lenses. The Super Speedex has unit focusing. So it can be used as close as 4 ft with no problem.

Although, I have a Rolleicord V, I still prefer the Agfas. The Rolleicord and its accessories get a bit lonely in their camera bag, because an Agfa kit with lens hood, filters, spare film and light meter fit comfortably into an unobtrusive belt pouch.

Square prints open a whole new avenue of creativity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm currently using a Rolleiflex 2.8f and a Hasselblad SWC. It's perhaps a quirky combination, but it reflects the way I see and makes for a fairly light and compact kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just started using a Bronica SQ-Ai. It is taking a little getting used to a square format but when I shot 35 mm I was cropping to square format. Still don't know why I am having trouble composing.

Shalom,
    Eric
    Shalom my friends.

Eric Redard.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Try this 6X6

You might consider trying a Kiev 88 CM. It is based on the old Hasselblad 1600F & 1000F that were discontinued by 1957. You will find the Kiev under several different names (Saluit) but the current production model Kiev 88 CM gives the least trouble. It suffers from all the design deficiencies of the Hasselblad 1000F. It is not of Russian manufacture, it is Ukranian and made at the Arsenal Plant. The CM has a Pentacon mount and will take all of the east German (ex Carl Zeiss Jena - now Jena) lenses some of which are quite good, comparable to the best Zeiss optics. Kiev markets a line of Ukranian lenes that are also quite good and inexpensive. Starting with a 30mm f/3.5 180 degree wide-angle (very sharp) right through to 1,000mm. They also market a very unique 45mm w/a with 8 degrees of shift AND tilt. Most useful and very sharp. All the lenses are fully coated and exhibit good contrast. The Kiev 88 CM is flocked inside. Contact Kiev USA for further details.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    I'm not sure how useful my reply will be, but here it goes:

I started 6x6 with a Lipca Flexora TLR, which my grandfather handed down to me (it had been his father's before). I really liked it, even though it had lots of haze on the taking lens, the focus screen was dark, and the spacing was uneven. I took good shots with it. Unfortunately, however, the shutter lost its will to live, and refused all attempts at resurrecting.

Full of sorrow and anger (why did it abandon me? WHY?), I purchased a Pentacon Six TL on ebay. I was really tempted by the idea of a 6x6 SLR with sharp optics (actually, anything without haze would satisfy me), and the P6 didn't disappoint me. I quickly set the prism aside, and stuck with the brighter and more familiar waist level finder, and made sure to stick a hood on that lens. I took this setup to Brazil, and put 65 rolls of film thru it. Aside from the fact that it only took 10 shots per roll (WIDE spacing between frames) I was pretty happy with it. Looking back, I would have flocked the interior to minimize flare in some backlit shots, but otherwise I was happy.

Oh, and the P6 died on roll number 65. That would have really ticked me off, if it wasn't for the fact that I had taken it to some extreme situations (climbing/hitting/sneaking under rocks, scorching sun, etc...), and my serious shooting was over.

I have also used a rolleicord and 2nd lowest Seagull available. The seagull impressed me (the triplet lens was much sharper than I expected, and it felt much more luxurious than my Flexora).

I once handled a Hasselblad 500_and_something and a motordriven one. I was then told of all the ways one could jam the darned things, and proceed to carefully set them down. Nothing against hasseblads (I actually wouldn't mind having one), but for a clumsy guy like me, they're just too iffy.

I am now in the process of editing/printing this last batch of shots, so I won't be shooting for a little while. I am, however, already thinking of the replacement for the P6, and as of right now have used bronicas in mind. For about $500 one can buy a setup from adorama's ebay account. Doesn't sound too high.

On the other hand, I might just go with a TLR...

hope this helps.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin