Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,140   Online: 1045

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite 6x6 brand?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bronica

16 11.43%
  • Hasselblad

51 36.43%
  • Rollei

39 27.86%
  • Holga

8 5.71%
  • Mamiya [6 rangefinder (?)]

24 17.14%
  • Exacta

1 0.71%
  • Seagull

1 0.71%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which 6x6 MF do you shoot?

The thread about why y'all chose MF in the first place took off a little bit on a discussion about whether Hasselblad is worth the money, etc. I've heard numerous conflicting opinions about this, so I'd love to hear some more. Which 6x6 MF do you use and why?

As always, I am grateful for your willingness to take the time to respond.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I origianly bought a Bronica a year or so back because the price was right. I had a few problems with it, and prices droped so much I recently bought a Hasselblad 500 c/m. I'm very happy with it. I like that it doesn't need batteries, and it also has a bulb mode which is good. As far as results, I don't see too much difference between my Bronica (sq-a), and Hasselblad photos printed at 9x9.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure how useful my reply will be, but here it goes:

I started 6x6 with a Lipca Flexora TLR, which my grandfather handed down to me (it had been his father's before). I really liked it, even though it had lots of haze on the taking lens, the focus screen was dark, and the spacing was uneven. I took good shots with it. Unfortunately, however, the shutter lost its will to live, and refused all attempts at resurrecting.

Full of sorrow and anger (why did it abandon me? WHY?), I purchased a Pentacon Six TL on ebay. I was really tempted by the idea of a 6x6 SLR with sharp optics (actually, anything without haze would satisfy me), and the P6 didn't disappoint me. I quickly set the prism aside, and stuck with the brighter and more familiar waist level finder, and made sure to stick a hood on that lens. I took this setup to Brazil, and put 65 rolls of film thru it. Aside from the fact that it only took 10 shots per roll (WIDE spacing between frames) I was pretty happy with it. Looking back, I would have flocked the interior to minimize flare in some backlit shots, but otherwise I was happy.

Oh, and the P6 died on roll number 65. That would have really ticked me off, if it wasn't for the fact that I had taken it to some extreme situations (climbing/hitting/sneaking under rocks, scorching sun, etc...), and my serious shooting was over.

I have also used a rolleicord and 2nd lowest Seagull available. The seagull impressed me (the triplet lens was much sharper than I expected, and it felt much more luxurious than my Flexora).

I once handled a Hasselblad 500_and_something and a motordriven one. I was then told of all the ways one could jam the darned things, and proceed to carefully set them down. Nothing against hasseblads (I actually wouldn't mind having one), but for a clumsy guy like me, they're just too iffy.

I am now in the process of editing/printing this last batch of shots, so I won't be shooting for a little while. I am, however, already thinking of the replacement for the P6, and as of right now have used bronicas in mind. For about $500 one can buy a setup from adorama's ebay account. Doesn't sound too high.

On the other hand, I might just go with a TLR...

hope this helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    when I was assisting fer a livin in NYC, you HAVE to know how to use a Hassy. Photogs will time you to see how fast you load/unload film. They will make sure that you don't jam their lenses/bodies. You can go to any pro shop and rent Hassy equipment that you don't have. They are not delicate so someone with fat fingers will not break them. Needless to say, I've worked on my share of Mamiyas, Bronicas, 4x5s, 8x10s. They ALL work GREAT and if you are a good assistant, know how to use them as part of your repertoire will make you more marketable. But for pure asthetic reasons, Blads have a nice feel to them. If you can shoot, you can use anything and make $$$. So I've bought most of my Hassy gear at that point and still use them now. I don't think I can afford them now if I had to get them. Get what you can afford, don't worry what the name is on the tag. Make prints, scan them, don't even tell anyone what brand camera you use. Nobody cares if the image is good. (And my pic on the poll was Holga -- I love my Holga...I use it more than the Blad)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are lots of 6x6 cameras that you did not list. The Pentacon 6TL is one that I own and shoot (the Exacta 6x6 is a variant of the Pentacon 6TL).

However, the 6x6 camera that I use the most is my ARAX/Kiev 88CM. This is a Ukrainian built Hassleblad derivative camera that uses the Zeiss and Schneider lenses from the Pentacon/Exacta system plus an extensive line of Ukrainian lenses.

As you know, I also own a Hassleblad 501CM.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Mamiya C330f. A fine camera, easy to use and quite solid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OMG! I used to own an Exacta 6x6. Bought new from BH many moons ago. The curtain developed a wrinkle and kinda broke in less than a year. BUT MAN! The lenses were SUPURB. I kinda liked that weird "skin" it had.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    However, the 6x6 camera that I use the most is my ARAX/Kiev 88CM. This is a Ukrainian built Hassleblad derivative camera that uses the Zeiss and Schneider lenses from the Pentacon/Exacta system plus an extensive line of Ukrainian lenses.
    Oh yeah! that puts the K60 (or Arax 60) as a replacement for my camera-gone-buh-bye.

Shooter
    35mm
    You make a good point; I should've included an Other option. But then I'd've missed out on the joy of reading your posts! This is a great discussion!

Shooter
    35mm
    And Tom, why do you use the ARAX/Kiev 88CM the most?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin