Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,158   Online: 818

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RZ: The old AE finder DOES work on ProII!

I recently bought a big RZ67 II kit. I already had the RZ67 (I) but for several reasons I got the other kit including a non-metered prism finder.
    So now I have RZ I + AE finder I and RZII + non-meter finder, but I want to go with the II and sell the I. Common knowledge is that the old version AE finder does not work on the II body. As soon as I got the II body I did try it, but got some beeps ands blinks that told me it was no-go.
    So I have spent some weeks now looking for an AE II (FE701) at a reasonable price.
    Today for some reason I tried the old AE prism on my II body, and to my surprise it now worked flawlessly! Looking back, I can see that the error signals I got at first was because of a nearly dead battery.
    I also now remember someone who wrote that the old AE prism had worked for him on several version II bodies.

I wonder if anybody can report hands-on that their RZ67 II does not work with the old AE finder? If there in fact is an incompability for some units, it should be possible for us to narrow down the ranges of serial numbers that are incompatible. That should be quite helpful to present and future RZ67 users.

To start such an investigation, here is my data:
    RZ67 II body: serial# TB1346
    RZ67 AE prism: serial# 106362
    100% compability.

BTW: In my search for an AE II finder I found this absolute steal from UK:
    http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction.../3f3924a1.html
    Last edited by Lars Daniel; 05-01-2010 at 01:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For awhile you could get a AE Finder 1 (side dial model) fitted to work with the RZ Pro II.
    Mamiya no longer does this mod.

Perhaps the finder you got had been upgraded by a previous owner?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    For awhile you could get a AE Finder 1 (side dial model) fitted to work with the RZ Pro II.
    Mamiya no longer does this mod.

Perhaps the finder you got had been upgraded by a previous owner?
    I dont think it is very likely. He is a professional photog that used the AE (I) finder with his RZ67 Pro (I) (I bought his whole kit). Why would he get the mod done?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The original AE Finder should work on RZ II bodies - the one that won't work with them is the PD Finder. I always assumed Mamiya tried to dissuade people from using the older AE type because the latest type has an improved spec which was specifically designed with the RZ67 ProII in mind; of course, the notion that they simply tried to scare you into spending all that extra money on the new version is not true, ahem! The Finder I've always wnated to try on my RZ is the RB metered chimney type but I've not got the Connector Cover which is required for attachment. Bummer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Pro II (since sold) while I had my Pro and the AE Finder 1 ( side dial) but I never tried the combination.

I was always under the assumption because of what I read that the side dial type finder would only work on the Pro.

The nice thing about both those finders is that the shutter speeds are stepless so they are VERY accurate in my experiences.

I do plan on getting a Pro II again but not in the immediate future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The original AE Finder should work on RZ II bodies - the one that won't work with them is the PD Finder.
    This is interesting. What is your actual source for saying that it "should work"?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Lars,

If you check the ProII manual, you will note that it mentions the use of an AE Finder (note, not the AE Finder) but very specifically warns that the PD finder will not work and can't be retro-fitted. It was because the Manual implied that either AE Finder would work that I risked attaching it - my reasoning being that if it caused a major malfunction, because of Mamiya's ambiguity in the Manual, I'd get them to repair matters gratis.... OK, a risky assumption... But it works. Of course, the original AE Finder was not designed to accommodate the more refined control of shutter speeds available in the ProII, but it meters perfectly.
    Last edited by ContaxRTSFundus; 05-04-2010 at 05:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missing the close bracket

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ContaxRTSFundus View Post
    Of course, the original AE Finder was not designed to accommodate the more refined control of shutter speeds available in the ProII, but it meters perfectly.
    Hmm, the manual is also ambiguous as to the stepless features regarding shutter speeds for both these.

I dont have the AEII (top 2 dial model) but what does it do that that AE1 doesn't.
    Does it just include 1/2 shutter speeds for when you are not in aperture priority?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Hmm, the manual is also ambiguous as to the stepless features regarding shutter speeds for both these.

I dont have the AEII (top 2 dial model) but what does it do that that AE1 doesn't.
    Does it just include 1/2 shutter speeds for when you are not in aperture priority?
    Like you, I don't have the AE Prism Finder II as the older one works just fine. I can't source a manual for the new version but looking at the specs from Mamiya, it appears that the older type may have an advantage in Auto mode as shutter speeds are stepless whereas the new version only offers speeds in 1/6 EV increments. Its a minor point as, with 1/6 EV steps, no one is likely to spot the difference in exposure to be found between any 2 of those steps.

So, other than perhaps having more robust electronics, it would seem there's little point in paying the much higher price for the latest type...unless someone can explain what I've missed?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin