Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,346   Online: 820

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

MF with a LF camera?

This may have been covered but did not find it..how many of you use a roll film back on your LF camera? Crown/Speed Graphic, Busch Pressman, etc.
    Was wondering because with prices at a low, I was considering adding another Mamyia 645 body for back-up or even parts, but then I have a Crown Graphic and it would seem like just adding roll film back would be nicer, giving a 6x7 or 6x9 negative.

Any thoughts, advice..how do you focus, basic workflow using a roll film back on LF camera.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 6x9 roll back. The GG on my sinar has markings for the film area which makes framing and focusing easy. The 6x9 praportions are very dramatic. Roll film is of course cheaper and available in greater varieties than sheet.

It does not replace an MF camera, but does offer a nice option.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used some of the older roll film backs, specifically those made by Graphic and Calumet. This biggest nag I had with every one of them was they were prone to light leaks. Maybe it was just a function of there age. I was able to finagle the Calumet to where it didn't leak too often. All depended on when/how the darkslide was pulled.

As far as work flow goes, there's the extra steps of having to remove/reinstall the ground glass-for this reason and the way it attaches, a Grafloc back is mandatory. Someone in a forum said the Calumet was designed to be inserted like a film holder with the ground glass still on - darn near busted the GG trying to do that.

The other thing is one has to be very fastiduous in advancing the back to the next frame immediately after exposure. There was no interlock to prevent double exposing.

As far as focusing goes, there's no change. Use the GG or on the Graphic, the range finder.

Aside from all that, they ain't bad. If you want to shoot MF rolls and have the advantages of a view camera, a roll film back will work. I haven't used mine though since I went to 8x10. Why I'm still hanging on to it I don't know.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Images
    I use a Singer Graflex 6x7 holder on my Toyo View. My darkroom isn't set up to enlarge 4x5 so it allows me the versatility of camera movements on a format that I can handle.
    My experience is identical to Alex's and he covers all the points that I would make. I never noticed any light leaks when I used it in the studio but the first time I took it out in bright sunlight I noticed a problem. Now that I am aware, I just drape my darkcloth over the back of the camera while the slide is out (I swear that I will work out a more elegant solution... someday).
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

I use the Sinar 6x9 and Toyo just push under the groundglass ones. But like the Horsemans 6x7 6x9 and 6x12 more because they work much more constantly. I think on my Sinar one is something broken because it not always works proper!

Shooter
    Large Format

Century Graphic

I use my 4X5 cameras only with sheet film while using a Century Graphic with both 120 roll film back and 2X3 sheet film. The Century Graphic offers many of advantages of a Crown Graphic while being more comfortable when using it like a 35mm rangefinder camera.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a couple of rollfilm backs (6x6 and 6x7)that I use on my Tech V, and I find them very handy. I get the advantages of new formats without having to buy into another camera system, the convenience of rollfilm, and camera movements. Sometimes I may use sheet film for one purpose and then shoot rollfilm for another purpose (say B&W sheets and color or a higher speed film in 120), or I may use the rollfilm back when my longest lens isn't really long enough for 4x5". The rollfilm back is also handy for testing a new film or other piece of equipment or a new lighting setup, or when I'm just shooting casual snapshots that don't really need to be 4x5".

I've had a Graflex RH10 back and traded it when I got an older Linhof Super Rollex back. The Super Rollex backs with the lever wind (avoid the knob wind Rollex backs--frame spacing problems) are really well made, and the older ones with the tan leatherette aren't so costly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wista 6x7 & 6x9 backs, Horseman 6x7 back and Shen-Hao 6x12 back. They all work great and don't have light leaks.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    6x7 Calumet roll film holders; occasional light leaks - solved by the above mentioned focussing cloth trick. Sometimes I just want to burn some extra film plying around with goofball ideas in my cramped, little attic studio. For definate ideas, I go with 4x5 in the camera.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, sounds like a number of you have/do use roll film backs..and also sounds like without the right back, it could be a PITA. Considering prices, will probably just continue with 4x5 for the Crown Graphic and using the Mamiya for the roll film (or the 124 for 21/4x21/4).
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin