Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,950   Posts: 1,557,890   Online: 942

Thread: Ricoh Auto 66

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ricoh Auto 66

I have an opportunity to purchase a Ricoh auto 66. I haven't seen this camera but am confident it is in excellent condition. I have tried to research some prices but can't find anything. He wants 200.00 for it because it was appraised at 200.oo five years ago.
    Does anyone here have any experience and/or advice on this camera? Its appreciated
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no experience with Ricoh cameras, but just because a "person of importance" set a value on something does not mean that is its true worth. The item is only worth what the market will bear. Does everything function as it was intended? will it continue to do so for however long you want it as a user? I may be wrong, but doesn't that model rely on the meter functioning properly for the camera to work? Can the auto function be overridden? IMO, the price is a tad bit high. Maybe get a try out clause from the seller that allows for a full refund up to so many days(long enough to run a roll through it) if it doesn't function properly.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's what I'm thinking too. My question is can I get my money back out of it? He's had it for sale for a long time. Those are also good questions on the meter part. I'll have to look into that some more. Thanks Rick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few years ago isn't today and the market is no where near the same. $200 for a Ricoh 6X6 is way to much IMO.
    $300 will buy a 645 or even some 6X7 cameras with a little shopping around. Tell you friend that two years ago a Hassleblad was $600+ & now you can find them for less than $400.
    See if he'll take $100, if not, shop around.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, here is one that sold on eBay for $69.98 recently. There is another that has been listed and relisted at $250 or best offer and hasn't had any takers. I'd be concerned about the light meter, if I were buying. Bill Barber

ebay# 370371633207

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Walk away and don't look back. You can do better, much better. If you can get it for $75, ok. More than that, forget it. You can get a good functioning Mamiya RB67 for $400 these days that will make an even bigger negative and blow the doors off the little Ricoh.
    Last edited by fschifano; 05-18-2010 at 07:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you guys are right. RB 67. That's what I really want. Thanks for all the replies. Its settled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good choice amigo.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Most camera "appraisals" are way too high in my experience and do not take
    into account the working condition of the camera. People inexperienced in
    actual vintage camera sales tend to think a particular camera model has
    a set value regardless of condition. People who think this also will not listen
    when you try to explain the realities of the matter and seem convinced you
    are trying to scam them. I've been involved with film camera buying and selling
    since the 1970s and I run into this all the time. Another common pain is the
    person who wants me to appraise a camera without my looking at it. They
    often become quite peeved when I tell them I have to see the camera to give a
    realistic appraisal.

The way many people "appraise" a camera is they do a search on eBay for
    the highest asking price which they then think is its value. Or, they
    find a similar camera which sold at a high price but it was in mint condition
    and had high value accessories with it while the camera being appraised is in
    junk condition. Trying to explain the fallacy of this approach is often a
    waste of time.

The Beautiful Northwest Georgia Mountains
    Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a brand new Ricoh Auto 66 for $29.95 in 1968 or '69. It's a decent picture taker until the selenium meter cell goes out (which mine did within six months), then you have a nice paperweight. With a bit of shopping around, you can get a nice Minolta Autocord or Yashicamat 124 for your $200 (or less). Walk away from the Ricoh.
    Dave Jenkins

My award-winning book: Rock City Barns: A Passing Era http://tinyurl.com/22bcws

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin