Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,229   Posts: 1,659,899   Online: 717

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The same thing, which I dislike, about my Nikon F's. I just use 'B' and a locking cable release. Much easier.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the replies guys. I like the black card or hat idea. The lens cap may be an easier option since it's always with me. But like was said, it's tough for exposures of 4-6 seconds.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I believe you can also close the shutter by turning the film advance lever. I know you can do this on some of the GW and GSW models, not sure about the III.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes this is a bad feature of the camera(s). But I have ruined only a couple exposures out of many by turning the shutter speed ring. Though I have ruined a much higher percentage by advancing the film. I can see where the use of a black hat and film advance method would work quite well.
    I really like using my two Fujis as much as my 4x5 and 5x7 cameras.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    So I figure my camera was broke. Never having read the manual .....
    Working in IT all day, this sentence makes me laugh with rage

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Along with your camera and the aforementioned RB the RZ can join the club for longer than what is it 60sec exposures ?...

But isn't it just how 'T' settings work ? I think that if you're using T exposures then the possible shake in switching it off will be nothing in the grand scheme of such a long exposure ?

I use T as then I don't have to bother with a cable release at all
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Somehow I don't think that would be over rated, could be like most annoying?
    Nikon used to use the rotate the shutter speed dial too. Yeah it's not around the lens, but still.
    Expletive Deleted!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had a 'III'. The film advance does indeed close the shutter. I never saw an issue with that. That "feature" is naturally more convenient for longer exposures, but it's workable even for a couple of seconds.
    ---
    mike rosenlof
    louisville colorado usa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrosenlof View Post
    I had a 'III'. The film advance does indeed close the shutter. I never saw an issue with that. That "feature" is naturally more convenient for longer exposures, but it's workable even for a couple of seconds.
    I have a GSW690 and a GW690III. The film advance lever closes the shutter on both cameras, and does so with just a slight movement. I doubt that touching the lever to advance the film would cause any problem, even with short exposure times. Must admit that for a long time I thought the only way to close the shutter was by turning the shutter speed setting, which I find a lot less convenient that turning the film advance lever.

Sandy King

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Using the film advance might cause problems if there are any bright highlights in the scene such as streetlights. The film may move slightly before the shutter fully closes. But I just use the lens cap...compared to using barrel lenses on LF cameras, it is only half the work. Being able to start the exposure with a cable release is very nice as there is less chance of vibration.

I actually sent our Fuji 6x7 back thinking the shutter was faulty -- got a photocopied portion of the manual back...:rolleyes: But now I just tell our students about it's little quirk -- it is in high demand.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin