Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,516   Online: 764

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Fuji III series Rangefinders Stupid, Stupid Feature!!

I not too recently ago purchased a Fuji GW680III rangefinder. And I love it, but last week I went to shoot some timed exposures of water. No problem I thought. I put the cable release on, it was a 4 second exposure. I pressed it, watched my watch, then let go, and the shutter wouldn't close. I hit the shutter again, nothing. I finally fiddled with the shutter and aperture rings and the shutter closed. Huh, that was weird I thought. Did it again, same thing.

So I figure my camera was broke. Never having read the manual I figured I'd go download it. Well after reading it, it turns out that once you press the shutter for a time exposure the shutter will not close when letting go of the shutter release (un-like most BULB features I've ever used). You have to change the shutter speed on the shutter dial, which is on the lens, and is not the easiest ring to turn, therefor shaking the camera. This to me is the stupidest feature I've ever seen, almost ruining the good thing the Fuji RFs have going for them.

Anyone else have a issue with this? Or a solution to the problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does sound dumb.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Yes, it's a stupid design. It's the only thing I don't like about my Fuji rangefinder.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I had my GW670III, I did time exposures all the time. Great camera IMO.

I just put a black hat, or my hand over the lens(without touching it), then moved the shutter speed or aperture ring to close it down. I just learned to live with it.

great cameras, super sharp.

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's not a B ("bulb") setting, it's a T ("time") setting. B closes when you let go, T stays open when you let go and needs a separate action to close the shutter. The great majority of modern roll film cameras have a B setting, but the shutters used with modern large format lenses have both.

But yes, the Fuji T setting is unusual in requiring the shutter speed ring to be turned (or the film to be advanced) to close the shutter, rather than just a second press of the shutter release. And yes, it's a real nuisance and a substantial limitation IMO.

One thing you can do is bring a along small piece of cardboard. Slap that quickly over the lens at the end of the desired exposure and hold it on, and you can use your other hand to fiddle with the shutter speed ring at your leisure without worrying about moving the camera. If you're really nimble, you can put the lens cap on. It's difficult to control short time exposures reliably that way, but beyond a few seconds the imprecision doesn't matter.

PS: the mark I and II versions of the fixed-lens Fuji GW 6x7/6x8/6x9 cameras are the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does seem bothersome, but some cameras which are usually good do have quirks that you have to live with.

Jeff

the shutter goes down to 1s. for longer exposures on the T setting, my guess is that any camera shake caused by turning the shutter speed ring or advancing the film won't even register. you don't need to turn them much to set it off, too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by raizans View Post
    for longer exposures on the T setting, my guess is that any camera shake caused by turning the shutter speed ring or advancing the film won't even register. you don't need to turn them much to set it off, too.
    The problem is that on the mark II and III versions, the shutter speed dial is recessed in the lens barrel, and it's sometimes not so easy to get a grip on it without giving the camera a nudge.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's the same as the RB67, I assumed its common to many medium format designs, I quite like the feature, it means I dont need to hold down a release cable, and just press the shutter, come back in an hour or 5 and turn the shutter speed dial back to 1 second and it closes

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is also the case on Bronicas for time exposures without using battery power. You slide a switch to the "T" position on the bottom of the lens, the shutter release opens the shutter, then the shutter closes when you slide the switch back. It's fiddly and easy to mess up if you don't do it often. I like the action of large format shutters where you push the release to open, then push it again to close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin