Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 995

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are absolutly correct Chazzy. Having a firm idea of what format, then finding the camera to go with it. I believe the OP has that in mind already, when stated "held a print taken with a 6x6 camera" , appears he's smitten with a square format.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good advice has been given. I would add that a suitable tripod should be on your list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not go with a Rolleiflex.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi guys,

I forgot to mention, I own a Yashica D. The one with a Yashikor lens.. I wanted one with a Yashinon, they say it's better, but, I say i go for the cheaper one, and besides, I think it's trivial, the difference between those two..

I tried shooting with a TLR, it's fun, but it's slowing me down, and focusing without a split screen (My Yashica D focusing screen is not a split image type) is really a pain in my neck..

What I want is an SLR. a 6x6 square. Maybe something that is not expensive and at the same time nicely built. Maybe a little plastic in it, Im no pro, so it will get like 1 to 2 rolls/ month.. I hear Mamiyas are good, but they say it is heavy, some say bronicas are the poor man's hassy.. maybe they are..

What models should I go for? and a good portrait/all around lens to go with it, Since i'll be using it for portraits, and the occasional street/landscape?

Thank you guys for all the input.. God bless you
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

WTB: Konica Autoreflex T3 and AR lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both are quite capable lense systems. I personally haven't seen any difference in performance, and I have had both versions. I currantly use the triplet, and its a sweet performer. The only real difference comes into play between the viewing lenses, and only wish I had the 2.8 version with my old man eyes.

Slowing down is a good thing. Helps to dial in and hone the skills.

As for an SLR type, Bronicas, and (if you can find one) a Kowa Super 66, are great performers, for small money.
    Last edited by Rick A; 05-20-2010 at 09:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Another vote for the Bronicas, they're solid but relatively light, quality lenses and quite affordable. Of course in terms of affordability, nothing beats the Pentacon Six.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    If you want a 6x6 slr that is great quality, with great lens, and affordab;le then look at the bronica Sq range, Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mamiya's don't come square in a SLR - 6x4.5 and 6x7 formats.

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    I recently got a Mamiya M645 with an 80mm and 150mm lens, and teh quality is great. It feels good in the hands, and the controls are in just the right places (for me atleast). If you are okay with 6x4.5 format, I'd look into the M645. I would like to get a 6x6 slr at some point and would probably be looking at the Bronica SQ-A. I also have a couple TLR's, a Minolta Autocord CDS and a Yashica A. They are both nice cameras, and I could definitely recommend the Autocord if you are interested in going the TLR route. The 75mm Rokkor lens on it is super sharp, and the build quality is solid.

Just saw your post about wanting to do some portraits also. For that I'd recommend a 150mm lens. The one I got with my M645 is a really nice lens, and I actually am starting to think that I prefer it over the 80mm as a walk around lens to use.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you guys for all the inputs you have given.. One question though, I know that medium format (any ratio) can blow away a 35mm and even a 30 MP Dslr in terms of resolution and detail, but which of the ratios can really maximize the lens and the film used and give off the sharpness and detail that I want? 6x6, 6x4.5 or 6x7? with that in mind, I can narrow down my choices...

Thank you in advance, and God bless you!
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

WTB: Konica Autoreflex T3 and AR lenses

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin