Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,120   Online: 1118

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Testing the MF Waters

Hi guys,

Recently, I held a print taken with a 6x6 SLR camera, and it's obvious why I'm here now.. and sadly i could never get that kind of reso and detail from my 35mm cameras and even my digital..

I am unfamiliar with MF slr cameras, but I've done a little bit of research which gave me an idea on what I want.. and it is timely that I'm going to shoot my first un-official pre-nup shoot for my cousin which is just for fun, and maybe do it in the future for cash...

There are some cameras that stuck in my mind, bronicas, mamiyas and hasselblads.. the latter I can never afford unless I buy it piece by piece in a span of one or two years.. but just in case, I think i like the hassy 501cm..

bronicas, I don't know which ones are the best bang for the buck.. the same goes for mamiya too..

Im a one camera / one lens type of guy so Id probably stick to one good lens..

could you help me out guys? thanks in advance! God bless you!
    Flickr
    Multiply
    My PhotoBlog
    My Twitter!

WTB: Konica Autoreflex T3 and AR lenses

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not much difference between an older 500c/m Hassy and the newer 501's (except the price). That and a 80mm or 150mm will do nicely.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you are happy with only one lens, how about a TLR?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    If you are happy with just one lens then go for a Rolleiflex,I have one from the 1950s, working perfectly and as for the results, I don't think you will better it,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm partial to TLR's, own several of them. My favorite is my Yashica D, followed closely by my Duaflex II. I have a Mamiya C-220, and several other TLR's from the 40's and 50's that are fun to shoot, and all give excellent results. The Mamiyas have interchangeable lenses, and are IMHO the finest TLR's ever built. They are versitile, rugged, and dependable. They are running fairly inexpensive these days, and lots of accessories are still available.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For MF SLR I like the Pentacon Six, with the Zeiss 120mm (Sonnar? Can't remember right now). The 80mm Biometar is also quite good. I have always wanted to own and use a 500C/M but I cannot justify neither the money (I'm just an amateur) nor the usage (most probably I won't feel comfortable in the street with it).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So many good choices. Rolleiflex, Hasselblad, Bronica, Mamiya - all great cameras. Just make sure there are parts and service for the one you choose - some of the body models and lenses are getting quite old. This is no problem for performance/quality but may be for service parts.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul View Post
    Not much difference between an older 500c/m Hassy and the newer 501's (except the price). That and a 80mm or 150mm will do nicely.
    Agree with Raoul (welcome, Raoul, by the way). Absolutely what I was thinking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [the best bang for the buck.. the same goes for mamiya too..

Im a one camera / one lens type of guy so Id probably stick to one good lens..

could you help me out guys?
    What Rainphot says makes a lot of sense. My two cents, additional.
    For doing weddings, flash synch can be a problem. Avoid mf slr cameras. Go for a leaf shutter.

Rainphot also brings back fond memories of my Yashica D. I shot many a wedding with that camera. Simple, rugged, cheap. If you can find a later model with the four-element Yashinon lens, go for it. Even with the 3 element Yashikor, it is a good performer, optically. F/11 and bein' there.

The Mamiya C series was often called "the poor man's Hasselbad" because of its decent performance and interchangeable lens system.

I was told by ye olde experz that the "biggest bang for the buck" was a clean, used, RolleiCORD III or later.

Have fun
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think before you pick a camera you need to pick a format. Do you like square negatives or rectangular ones? Personally, I would prefer 6x7 or 6x4.5 over 6x6, but it is your own preference that matters.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin