Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,585   Posts: 1,545,808   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case Foam

Shooter
    Multi Format

Case Foam

I have a nice hard case that I use for my Bronica ETRSi system and the foam is beginning to break down. Just wondering if others have found good replacement foam for their cases.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pelican cases have foam inserts that you can custom fit. They may sell the material separately from the case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of the best foams for inserts is Plastazote

http://www.zotefoams.com/pages/US/plastazote.asp

You should be able to find it relatively easily - common here in UK.

Its a fairly dense closed cell foam that comes in different hardnesses and sheet thicknesses. Often also comes with a self-adhesive backing.

The great thing with plastazote is that not only can you literally carve it with a *very* sharp blade, you can also machine it with a wood-working router, so its relatively easy to make up a plywood jig to machine multiple sheet layers to the same profiles and make a very fancy insert.

I used to work for a company that did this commercially.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you already have the case/dividers as I think might be the situation, perhaps the dividers etc could be stripped back and a closed cell foam glued on to them. Camping shops sell rolls of closed cell foam for reasonable amounts - used for seat pads, under sleeping bags etc. Very good for absorbing big knocks. For little jolts a further layer of open cell foam on the top will cushion the gear like it was being carried on feathers !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can buy Pelican pick and pluck foam here.

http://www.foamerica.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=59

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's breaking down into small bits, I'd get the equipment out of there asap. Think of it like sand.

I get replacement foam from an upholstery specialty store. Many grades of foam available. I cut it with a fillet knife. If possible, I freeze the foam first (seems to help a bit).
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Pelican case with "pick 'n puck" foam which, as it is relatively new, works well; however, it seems to me there is a lot of wasted space. I think I will be getting a padded divider insert. You can buy foam inserts, and padded divider inserts, separately, just browse the Pelican web site to identify the one that would best fit your case. B&H Photo has good prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the info. The case is actually a Western Union technicians case for tools but it is a well made case and I have used it for years. The foam is not falling apart it is just not as firm as I would like. Dividers are a possibility and would give more space, I may look into going that way. I could look at a new case with more room. The case will hold 2 Bronica ETRSi complete with back, prism and 75mm lens. Also 50mm, 150mm lens, lens hoods and grip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the sound deadening/eggshell style foam to protect gear in transit on airlines and it works perfectly.
    Wish I had purchased earlier - would have saved us a bundle on modelling globes and flash tubes!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    be careful with soft/cheap foam. It has a tendency to powder/fragment as it ages, and also may not be chemically inert, particularly if an open-cell structure has absorbed any contaminants. High quality high density closed cell polyethylene foam is very safe to use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin