Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,450   Online: 1025

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark,

Sorry, i meant the iris or aperture. If you take the holga apart there is a plate that moves in front of the regular aperture with another hole.
    The second hole is usually the same or larger then the first, so it does you no good. That may not be the case with all Holgas but it is the case with the 3 that I have. As I said, the easiest way to change the aperture is to literally have 2 or 3 cameras. I have one with a broken shutter that I simply use at night or for longer exposures with a nuetral density filter held in front of the lens.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It was my understanding that with a Holga, the shutter speed is as quick or slow as your finger! I'm not sure about the Diana, but with a Holga, as long as the shutter is depressed, the film will be exposed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kaishowing
    It was my understanding that with a Holga, the shutter speed is as quick or slow as your finger! I'm not sure about the Diana, but with a Holga, as long as the shutter is depressed, the film will be exposed.
    the holga shutter is as quick as the spring that controls it - its not a bulb type shutter (unless you modify it that is)

It's good to know that this is an exact science. I wouldn't know what to do with reliable results. I think this is why I love shooting 8x10 with Imagon and Verito lenses.
    All in all though, it should be worth it as I really want to integrate this look into my vintage Hollywood fashion look.
    Thanks for everyone's insight and help on this.
    Mark
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The average for the Holga is 1/100th. The time for every individual camera is pretty consistant. The spring will break from fatigue before it weakens significantly.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Actually,
    I do have another question for those of you using meters in conjunction with the Diana and Holga.
    If the average working ISO is 400 and the average shutter speed is 1/100 what are you looking for on the meter in the way of an f-stop - and in conjunction with which setting on the "weather" dial ? Was it f11 for "partly cloudy"?
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark...just go out and shoot the darn thing!! Seriously, that's one of the great things about these cameras. Just load it and you get the most unusual, unexpected images. Our daughter has fallen in love with the our plastic toy camera (a Holga) that we had as it's allowed her to have a 'break' from the technical side of photography. Consider shooting with the Diana another aspect of your art...just without all the technical BS. ENJOY IT! You may surprise yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by donna-marie
    I second the dev times adjustment. I will meter a scene and push/pull accordingly as needed. I personally feel that the holga/diana provide enough quirks without adding exposure errors.
    I, too have had my share of search and destroy clam bake shooting, so maybe I need to restate the question for the member who says she meters. It's not a life or death question, but I am interested in it since I will use this in the studio and can adjust my lighting to fit some reasonable exposure profile. Just a starting point since there is a member here who does meter.

Donna,
    Not to put you on the spot (or to easily let you off ).
    When you meter then push/pull your dev, what have you been getting when you are relatively happy with the results. I see you posted a pic. Was that metered?
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy Blum Cooper
    Mark...just go out and shoot the darn thing!! Seriously, that's one of the great things about these cameras.
    here, here Dorothy - too right - exactly what I have been saying all along!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wangerin
    Donna,
    Not to put you on the spot (or to easily let you off ).
    When you meter then push/pull your dev, what have you been getting when you are relatively happy with the results. I see you posted a pic. Was that metered?
    mark, not sure exactly what you are asking . . . I accept my shutter as 1/180, I accept my aperture as f8 or f11 (holga). I meter and push/pull accordingly. I often have more than one scene on a roll, so in that case I will use an average iso to use as my dev time. example I ahev scenes I meterd for iso 400/ and iso 200/ and iso 800 on the same roll. I will dev for iso 400. Sometimes I have scenes with iso 400 and iso 3200. I will decide which pics I prefer and dev accordingly. Some get sacrificed.

For all the no-meter crowd . . . let it be known that I do this all in my head, no notes etc. I find it hilarious that I am too organized, lol. I am a slob with no methods of record keeping, just a good memory.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin