Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,415   Online: 1161

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Diana - need advice from other users

I am finally taking one of the Dianas out of the locker to test. I realize that whenever you try something out for the first time, testing helps establish the "character" of the piece.

I would like to minimize the amount of film I waste by getting at least a starting reference. I want to assume that since this is a tourist camera from the 50s that the manufacturer set it to operate according to the sunny 16 rule (ISO 100, f16 at a 60th).

Has anyone here used this model and could you give me some insight on it's exposure characteristics?

Thanks for the help

Mark
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Would suggest using a ISO 400 film, and you may want to tape up the sides as they tend to leak.
    We have been testing some holga's and so far the only real "leaking" issue is with the film counter. So i would suggest taping that on your Diana. '
    Check Jonathan Bailey's site, he does a lot (99%) of Diana work and it is lovely.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yup, ISO 400 is the norm for Dianas and Holgas. Shutter speeds in unaltered Holgas are roughly 1/100. Shutter speeds in Dianas can go anywhere from 1/60 to 1/200, depending on the camera. They're unpredictable at best, which of course, is part of the charm.

Lots of Diana and Holga info and images at www.digitalsucks.com. (Hey, don't look at me -- I didn't pick the name!)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don't forget the color negative film either. My students and I shoot a lot of color in Holgas and I have shot it in the past using a Diana. The lenses produce great edge and distortion effects and since they are not corrected for chromatic aberration they also do wonderful things to the colors. One of my students recently shot a project in WalMart using ISO 3200 film shot from the hip. He got some great stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I recently bought a Holga 120s for my girlfriend, and she's running her 1st film through it now (35mm), so we're yet to see if it's any good. Before she even started I made sure the film counter window was taped over.A good site for Holga tips is here :Holga Tips
    I've never used a Diana, but I understand that Hogla's and Diana's share many of the same quirks.

Thank you everyone. It sounds like using a Diana is a bit like shooting infra red.
    I'm wanting to do primarily BW. I'm wondering if there would be a benefit to developing by inspection. 'Almost sounds necessary.
    Thanks again.
    Mark
    Multi Format shooter
    Southern California

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, you may find a need to adjust the development times as that is all the control you have.
    I made my holga into a 35mm camera so the image bleeds into the rebate of the film.
    So far i have not had to need to adjust the development times. However, one of my students has increased his development times and makes the dicision based on the light at the time of the shot.

It is great fun and in many ways very freeing IMHO. The work can be wonderful or boring as it is really going to depend on the person behind the camera (As , what else is new!)

Images
    I second the dev times adjustment. I will meter a scene and push/pull accordingly as needed. I personally feel that the holga/diana provide enough quirks without adding exposure errors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails treehouse.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wonderful shot. Film and processing details, plz. Is that a neg or print scan?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin