Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,648   Online: 809

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

Recently purchased a used hassy kit. Been having a persistent problem. When I remove the lenses, they uncock and often jam against the body. I always have body and lens cocked when I attempt removal. Am I doing something else wrong? Even if a jam doesn't occur, the lens will be uncocked when removed. As always, your help is appreciated.
    Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a small pin next to the cocking shaft that releases the shutter.
    With the lens off the camera, when you cock the shutter is the pin fully engaging?
    As a SWAG this is mine:either the pin isn't traveling far enough to engage fully or the latch may actually be worn. In either case it sounds like service time.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another thing to have someone look at is whether the pin in the camera's lens mount that trips the catch in the little semi-circular surround on the rear of the lens is bent a bit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys. I'll take a look and see if either of these is the problem. I'm thinking CLA on the body might be in order.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok, looks like the front key on the body is set a little low, so when I remove the lens the key triggers a shutter release. Does anyone know how to adjust the front key? I'm hoping it's a relatively easy fix. Don't have the funds for a CLA at the moment and don't want to risk scratching the rear element having to recock the lenses everytime I switch them. Thanks for the help.

Leo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you referring to the cocking shaft or the release lever being low?
    If it's the release lever, the technical term is "reforming" it to gain clearance. If it's a DIY fix it's called "tweaking" or "bending" it.
    Reforming it costs more.............. Unless you break it.

You will not see much difference in the original piece and the modified piece, the difference will be very subtle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Are you referring to the cocking shaft or the release lever being low?
    I'm referring to the rotating shaft that triggers the lens shutter. I'm not referring to the two fixed pins on either side of it. I believe that the shaft needs to be rotated counterclockwise very slightly so that when the lens is removed its shutter release tab isn't touched. Does this make sense? Is there a way to do that without taking apart the entire body?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The key has to align properly, i.e. be at a specific angle in its resting position.
    It could indeed be that it doesn't turn far enough for the latch in the lens mentioned by John earlier to catch, and the lens will then uncock when no longer held by the key.

If the key has to be adjusted, i'm afraid it's not really something you can fix easily yourself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

Woes me, woes me. I guess some saving and a body cla is all I can do. Thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What QG said, the shaft is gear driven & one or more of the gears could be worn. Since everything is gear driven it could be several worn parts. If it had skipped or broken a tooth I think you would be more than marginally off I doubt the lens would be removable.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin