Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,706   Posts: 1,548,489   Online: 952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Buying a boxed (new) Bronica

What about buying a boxed, unused Bronica? I know cameras like to be used and can gum up when left on the shelf. Any experience with buying a MF camera that has been sitting in a box for X years. Should I factor in a CLA in the price or what is your valued opionion on this?

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I geuss it depends on how long it was boxed and where it was located at (cool dry or humid). If the price is reasonable it might be a good buy. Bronica is a great camera!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I bought my RB last year the lens the seller had on it had a frozen shutter from lack of use, it had probably been used twice in the previous 10+ years. It was a complete surprise to him that it wasn't working.

I just made an offer on the rest of the camera and let him keep the lens.

It was easy and inexpensive to replace the lens with a nice working used one.

Going forward if the RB body broke I'd just replace it, hard to justify a CLA when KEH is offering a working replacement for $43 and nice older lenses for under $150.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you test drive it? I'd want to try it before I buy it. If it works, you are in luck, if not, you are still in luck(cause you didn't buy it).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Can you test drive it? I'd want to try it before I buy it. If it works, you are in luck, if not, you are still in luck(cause you didn't buy it).
    No I can't. It's at a dealer several 1000 kms from me.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mats,

I can't help with whether the camera you are looking at will have problems or not, but I did purchase a "new old" stock SQ-B kit with 80mm f/2.8 a few years ago and haven't experienced any issues.

Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is it a 645 RF model? That one is becoming a cult camera and I sure would like to have a NOS RF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would only buy it if the seller would give me a return period of say, 7 to 14 days. If it was sitting in box for years, fungus or dried or gummed up oil can be an issue. If nothing shows; on the other hand, in that period, it could also be a great buy. Again, I'd like to have an inspection/return period clearly stated before I hand over the money.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Is it a 645 RF model? That one is becoming a cult camera and I sure would like to have a NOS RF.
    NOS?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In some models (SQ-* series), I would imagine the light seals in the backs might have turned to goo and nearly disappeared whether the camera was used or not. That's not a big deal to remedy, but would entail some work and at least cost of materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin