Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,853   Online: 1201

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think Agfa used to, I have some old aluminum tubes that I still use for holding matches when I go camping.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sometimes ask myself after shooting lots of MF for the last couple of years: Why is 35mm stuck inside those annoying canisters? Wouldn't a canister just bulk up the whole process for you and slow you down? The only down side is all that wasted backing paper...though my cats seem to enjoy playing with the little pile of paper coils after a day of developing.

I guess the other main reason is that it's tradition - there are too many mf cameras out there to change things now.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freestyle has some 120 film containers by Maco. There is an economy one for 99 cents, and a heavier duty one for $1.49. I do like the idea of being able to protect the film from moisture and other damage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a few of the Adox film canisters, which I used to take with me when shooting 120 on the road. I gave it up after concluding that they weren't actually achieving anything, except for expanding the mess of random items I was carrying. They might be useful for IR film, which seems more prone to light leaks ex camera than other kinds.

That said, I do store finished 35mm rolls in their canisters, I guess just because they're there. I suppose it also provides some marginal insurance against unlikely accidents like pulling on the leader---a nonissue for 120, of course.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'd be happy if 35mm was optionally available cheaper without the cannisters, because I have enough to last me for the rest of my life.
    It is. Lots of film comes in bulk rolls. Get a bulk loader and you can load your rolls in daylight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WetMogwai View Post
    It is. Lots of film comes in bulk rolls. Get a bulk loader and you can load your rolls in daylight.
    Already have two

But I prefer factory loads for colour.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are boxes like this...
    http://www.porters.com/film-darkroom...-box-grey.html

...or for individual rolls, like this...
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/820381...ner?cat_id=804

Mine (purchased almost 20 yrs. ago) are like these, but I can't seem to find a US retailer.
    http://macodirect.de/analog-film-c-1...45b7cb6620c15b

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought the other containers from Freestyle. The hinge may not last forever, but so far, so good. They seem better sealed and a little less clunky than the screw-together variety.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The plastic canisters for the Adox films are why I chose them over the Efke branded film. Nevertheless, one still gets edge fogging with these films. Sometimes one gets the fogging a bit into the image as well as I've started to notice. I really like the Adox/Efke 100 and 50 films but will have to rethink my commitment to purchasing more because of this. If Kodak, Ilford, and the late great Agfa could produce 120 rolls that didn't leak light even without the nifty plastic canisters, why can't Adox/Efke? It would seem cheaper to me to fix this once and for all then to produce the canisters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Never had an issue with the status quo. I do put my exposed stuff in a zip-lock baggie, to keep the furbies away, but thats good practice with any film in a dry environment like where I am.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin