Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,257   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Why doesn't medium format film come in canisters like 35mm?

It seems like 120 film just as much as 35mm film should have canisters to protect it. I'm just not comfortable licking the tag end on medium format film, and dropping the bare roll in my pocket or camera bag. It seems like they need a canister to keep out bright light, dust, and so on. What if you drop one in the mud or the adhesive strip comes loose and your film insta-unwinds? I never understood why medium format doesn't come in canisters. What do you think?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    adox 120 film comes in a canister
    http://adox.de/ADOX_Filme/ADOX_Filme.html

i'm not sure if american retailers sell it in the canister or
    if you have to buy it directly from the source ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film companies have been using this method for decades without problems. They see no reason to add to their R&D and manufacturing costs regardless how logical the proposed change seems to be. To my knowledge, there is no body of research that indicates a need for change. Without the need and research to back it up, why raise a hew and cry that could help kill the remaining film industry?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the past I bought 6 or 8 reusable plastic cannisters for 120, and have happily used them since.

I'd be happy if 35mm was optionally available cheaper without the cannisters, because I have enough to last me for the rest of my life.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hmmmm....but I can't find the rewind button on either one of my MF cameras. And I'd rather take the proper care with my exposed film than pay the extra cost for a 35mm type canister on every roll. If you're nervous about the glue tab failing, carry some rubber bands.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm film used to have snap-on cartridge ends (like some metal bulk film cartridges have). They were vulnerable to popping off during rough handling. The metal (and later plastic) canister protected the film from having the ends pop off.

Rollfilm, since it was tightly wound on a spool, did not have this issue and so did not need this special treatment.

Now that 35rmm film has rigidly-attached cartridge ends, it probably doesn't need the canisters, but they continue to be used.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_ON View Post
    Hmmmm....but I can't find the rewind button on either one of my MF cameras.
    Can I get a "do over" button that reuses the frame in a better way?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Seconding Steve on this one. Classic case of it wasn't broke and they didn't fix it either.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Didn't medium format film once come in a metal canister, in the era when 35mm film came in a metal screw-top canister? I don't know that 120 canisters were used in my own memory, but I believe I've seen them at camera shows or such like.

In any case, I think they're a good idea, and I save my plastic Adox canisters for other films.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I made some MF canisters out of two 35mm ones and some gaffer tape. My camera bag is soft the the film is much better protected in my homemade canisters.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin