Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,512   Online: 871

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prime vs. Zoom

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't need that many lenses, and I can't stand heavy cameras, so it's primes for me. But I have no prejudice against zooms either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always shoot primes, especially the old. Couldn't tell you much about modern Zooms in MF

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You say it is for portraiture. Do you foresee a need for speed in your workflow in the room? Will you be shooting a lot of young children or mainly adolescent and adults? Do you have tons to throw at glass or are you in the 'need-to-pick-and-choose' boat? Primes are lighter, faster (aperture), slower (speed of use), less expensive. Zooms hold to the contrary (heavier, smaller max apertures, quicker to use, mo expensive). So it comes down to what you want and what you need and the balance you find in between the two.

Oh, and I prefer primes but love zooms so I cannot help you there. (LF not really applicable in this discussion I suppose.)
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TareqPhoto View Post
    I use primes as well, but hope i can find a zoom which give me more range equivalent to 24-70 or 70-200 in DSLRs, i saw one zoom for Mamiya RZ67 Pro which is 100-200, didn't find one zoom for Hasselblad 500 series even i am sure there is, so i think i better stay with primes.
    The Schneider Varigon 140-280mm f5.6 comes to mind for 500 series Hasselblads as well as for the 2000/200 series. There was also the (Fuji)Blad 60-120 FE lens for the 200 series.

Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in frightful danger of seeing it for the first time." G.K.Chesterton

Shooter
    35mm
    Prime lens usually have lower f/Stop while consumer grade zoom lens usually start from F5.6... If you zoom closer to your subject you might not get to your lowest f/stop.

Zoom lens also might more vulnerable to chromic abbreviation

Shooter
    35mm
    maximum f-stop may be a limitation for dof effects and also because the viewfinder will be dimmer. For portaraits do you really want bitingly sharp images anyway. A slight softness to the image is usually more flattering to the subject.

I remember seeing a full face photo of a TV presenter on a magazine cover. She was considered to be a bit of a looker. I rekon the tog didn't like her. He must have used a macro lens. You could see every skin pore and blemish on her face and the image was knife edge sharp. Made her look like a gorgon.
    Last edited by tlitody; 06-13-2010 at 12:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epig View Post
    The Schneider Varigon 140-280mm f5.6 comes to mind for 500 series Hasselblads as well as for the 2000/200 series. There was also the (Fuji)Blad 60-120 FE lens for the 200 series.

Eric
    Where i can find that Schneider Varigon 140-280mm f5.6?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Places like KEH and eBay.
    They are not very rare items.

But mind that you get the one you need, i.e. one with shutter for 500-series Hasselblad. There also was a version without shutter for 2000-series Hasselblads.

It's a big, heavy and slow lens. Not cheap either. Are you sure you want one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It's a big, heavy and slow lens. Not cheap either. Are you sure you want one?
    The man has GAS that will not quit!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin