Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,275   Online: 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 with colour

Hi

Can these old folders from the late 30s give good results on colour film? Was thinking that there would perhaps be aberrations since the lenses are not colour corrected...

Thanks

Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These lenses are colour corrected, just not coated. It depends on the condition of the lens and it's contrast, i have various pre WWII Zeiss lenses and some are far better than others.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Lens is the Novar-Anastigmat f4.5 105mm. It's in excellent condition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 75mm Novar on a 6x4.5 Ikonta and it has very poor contrast despite looking in good condition, but you need to try your lens it may be fine, others get good results with them.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Novars are not great...

...despite folks who claim that their Novar lens is wonderful. If you are looking for a "vintage" look, Novar lenses will not disappoint.

Color-Skopars and Heliars are much preferred for modern color work. Apo-Lanthars are hideously expensive due to collectors, but really not that much better with modern color films. YMMV.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I have an Ikonta B with a 75 coated nova and stoped down to around 8 I get good contrast and sharpness, maybe not up to modern standards, but for an old triplet it is very good indeed,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've actually had decent luck shooting colour through Novars. Contrast is of course lower than it would be with a more modern lens, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different look. I'd say it's certainly worth experimenting with.

IMHO, whether Novars are legitimately described as "great" depends on how you feel about triplets. The best Novar in the world is still a triplet, with the limitations of the design, and some people like the results a lot more than others. (I do tend to like them, personally.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with a triplet,I have a few cameras with them and stopped down a bit you can get a lovely "LOOK" to your photographs, which I like a lot,Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard, I have or it may be had a wonderful Zeiss Triotar Triplet on a very early Rolleicord, the camera suffered damage stored in a damp cellar but I saved the lens. This lens had a wonderful feel in colour, I have some E4 shots somewhere of an ex girl friend made with the lens.

I've also just made a lens board & fitted a coated 105mm Trinar (Rodenstock's equivalent), this is for use on my nearly fully restored Quarter plate camera, with a 6x7 back (bought here on APUG.

I use pre-WWII lenses and much earlier - a pre WWI Zeiss Tessar surprisingly out performs a 30's Tessar in terms of contrast by quite a long way, it some 30's Zeiss lenses that seem to be the worst, Zeiss were using new glasses for some lenses and these don't seem to age well.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Nettar 515 (6x4.5) with a Novar. Here's a picture I took with it, on Fuji Reala 100, of blessed memory.

Here's some other pictures I took with it, both color and black and white. I like the results, but I'm pompous and vain enough to like just about anything I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin