Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,159   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hasselblad CF 250mm and CF 250mm Superachromat

As per thread title.

Instead of buying a large format camera this year, i'm going to expand my Hasselblad system so i can take it to Nepal with me at the end of the year.

I've got 80mm and 150mm lenses at this point and i need a longer tele and wide.

I've decided to get a 50mm CF FLE for the wide but i have been puzzled with the 250mm lenses.

I know what the technical differences are between the non SA and SA lenses but in terms of the picture output - i can't find anything.

Has anyone here used both and can provide some examples?

I know the big guns of colour photography (Christopher Burkett et al.) use the SA lenses but is there such a massive difference between the lenses that equates to a 400% increase in price?

I know this is an opinion-seeking article but i am curious to know.

I'd be happy to rent both to try them out, but alas - nobody seems to have the elusive superachromat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    I know the big guns of colour photography (Christopher Burkett et al.) use the SA lenses but is there such a massive difference between the lenses that equates to a 400% increase in price?
    Quite simply: no.

You will need to be very careful how you set up the camera, focus and expose, use a good film too, else you may not even be able to see any difference at all.

If you do, the difference is certainly visible. But it's not 400% better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The 180/4 is a also a stunning lens from what I have seen - much better than the 250mm. It might still be very good if combined with a converter.
    Why not buying the 180/4 instead of a 250mm? It would be the ideal compromise between the 150 and the 250 focal lenght and you will save on weight too, which I think is not unimportant if you´re planning a trip to Nepal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would prefer a slightly longer tele length. 180mm does not provide that much of a difference to the 150mm i already have. As i understand it, the 180mm lens is a better lens than the 150mm although i have not used the 180mm.

What i have noticed is that the 150mm lens far exceeds anything else i own in 35mm.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/backindauk/4565341614/

I think "If you do, the difference is certainly visible. But it's not 400% better."

The answer is right there.

For the same money i can get a 40mm CF Disagon, 250mm 5.6 and probably 350mm as well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, the 180 is a "better" lens than the 150 if you photograph Air Force test targets. I don't. I have a 50-80-150 kit now and at one time also had the 350mm and a 2X Mutar. To save weight and money don't discount the idea of bringing a 2X Mutar instead of the 250.

Only the test target and a microscope could tell the difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The plain vanilla 250 is an excellent lens, and grossly undervalued today.
    Add a Mutar, and quit.

If you are doing VERY special work, the SA will demonstrate its advantage. But you won't come near to exceeding the Sonnar's potential.
    Have a great time.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can attest to the quality of the plain ole vanilla 250 Sonnar.

I was lucky enough to get a black T* version recently and preliminary results are stellar.

I've never shot the SA version but you could do way worse than the Sonnar. Here in the US they are stupid cheap as DF mentions.

Be aware it is a beast and be ready to shot at one shutter speed (1/500) if you shot handheld.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess this is a good representative image from an old Hassie 250 Sonnar, c.1960.

It looks pretty good on the wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AA-Moon-HalfDome.jpg  
    Last edited by df cardwell; 06-08-2010 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    I guess this is a good representative image an old Hassie 250 Sonnar, c.1960.

It looks pretty good on the wall.
    It does indeed look good on the wall. Despites Ansel's saying it was on Panatomic X, Alan Ross says the negative is clearly marked R17

What plans for CB this summer
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark: PM on the way.

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin