Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,156   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Can I use 120 film in a 220 back for Bronica SQ-A?

Sorry, the title is confusing. Here's the situation. I want to use 120 film in a Bronica SQ-A, which comes with a 220 back and a 220 insert. I can buy a 120 insert separately, but it's made for a Bronica ETR, not an SQ-A. So, can I use that 120 insert from the ETR in the 220 back for the SQ-A? Or do I need a 120 insert that's made specifically for the SQ-A?

Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll need an SQ-A back. Also 120 film has paper backing while 220 film does not. This means that if you run the 120 film through a 220 back the film will be out of plane for focusing. Not by much, but some. Likewise, if you run 220 film through a 120 back the film is also out of plane (further from the lens).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    120 film in a 220 back isn't out of plane for focussing, the rails are the same regardless, but the pressure plate may be too tight for the film & backing paper.

I can use 120 film with a Mamiya 220 insert on my M645's with no problems at all.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Better to get an SQ 120 insert to fit the SQ film magazine (which is generic)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I suppose it's close, but Fuji rangefinder specifically says that if the pressure plate is set incorrectly that images may be soft if shot at wide-open aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The ETR insert will not work. You need to get an SQ 120 insert. 120 can be used in a 220 insert, but might have excessive tension. I think it's fine, but you'll have to try it to be sure.

220 in a 120 back may not be held tightly against the film plane, so is contraindicated. With 120 in a 220 back there's no such problem, so long as the plate moves far enough back to accommodate the increased thickness.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Yeah, I suppose it's close, but Fuji rangefinder specifically says that if the pressure plate is set incorrectly that images may be soft if shot at wide-open aperture.
    Yes when the pressure plate is adjustable if it's set for 120 and you use 220 film then the film isn't pushed fully against the guide rails.

But with inserts the pressure plate is integral.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok thanks a lot guys. I guess the general consensus is that I won't really know for sure until i try it myself. It might work or it might not. Still, if someone who has actually tried/done this on the said cameras would chime in here it'd be most helpful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    altair, keep in mind that the 220 insert will force you to 'advance the film' and shoot each time, past the end of the 120 roll, until it thinks you have exposed 24 shots before allowing you to simply wind to the end of the roll. And I am sure of the leader length assumed by the 220 insert is different from the 120 insert...I just measured that 220 film starts at 553mm from start of leader, 120 film starts at 427mm from start of leader, so the first shot will be wrongly placed!
    Last edited by wiltw; 06-08-2010 at 01:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgive me if I've misinterpreted, but I don't think the biggest problem here is running 120 film through a 220 insert+back, or vice versa. The OP is proposing to buy an ETR (6x4.5) insert and run it through a SQ-A back made to handle 6x6 film. I'll admit to only having one of the systems (the 645) so I could be very wrong, but I would imagine that said mismatch is not going to align properly. Width-wise, maybe, but do they match top to bottom?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin