Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,167   Online: 1084

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Not sure the model, maybe the A or B, from I think right after the war there was a mix up in lenses and Rollei had to recall a bunch of cameras to match taking with viewing lens. Maybe your camera is one of those that didn't get fixed. I believe the lens was a Tessar.
    That was the 2,8A. If I remember correctly, the first batch had Carl Zeiss Jena 2,8/80 Tessars that were made before the war for the Ikoflex III. The lenses were coated after the war, but some front and rear cells were mismatched during or after coating. The OP has a 3,5 Tessar, so it's not one of those.

There's a lot of stress in the blurred parts, just like it looked when the lens on my Ensign camera wasn't parallell to the film.

It can be a simple fix, if it's just the short "tube" behind the shutter that needs to be tightened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RF_tube.jpg  
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    There's a lot of stress in the blurred parts, just like it looked when the lens on my Ensign camera wasn't parallell to the film.

It can be a simple fix, if it's just the short "tube" behind the shutter that needs to be tightened.
    Thanks for the illustration. I will certainly give it a try when I return home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Often Rolleis have been 'fixed' by technicians whose epitaphs should read, "Oh, I've always wanted to work on one of THESE !"

Send it to a real Rollei tech and have it made new again. It will STILL be an inexpensive camera. You have a FINE camera.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check to see if the film pressure plate is in the correct position. Not sure on your model but many Rolleis had a pressure plate which could be switched to 35mm format.

This is definitely an alignment problem. It's not a bad lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Often Rolleis have been 'fixed' by technicians whose epitaphs should read, "Oh, I've always wanted to work on one of THESE !"

Send it to a real Rollei tech and have it made new again. It will STILL be an inexpensive camera. You have a FINE camera.
    Yeah, I would like to send it off for a CLA. Everything I'm finding online referring to Rollei techs is many years old. Are there any still around in the USA that I can talk to about mine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a guess here. Because the center is OK, this could be a lens element spacing issue. For example, the rear element could be unscrewed and almost falling off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Google Paul Ebel and Harry Fleenor for current Rollei service.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I learned photography with a "flex over 30 years ago!
    That's 1980 - knew you were a young'n, didn't know it was that young. [yeah, yeah, insert smiley...]
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I started late -- at 23 yrs old in 1977 -- but, yes, I am still a young'n!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, the "tube" behind the lens on my Rolleiflex doesn't turn at all, so it's pretty tight.

I think I may have spotted the problem possibly. Since this is the first Rolleiflex I've owned or even held in my hands, I'm not that familiar with them. It appears that the latch on the bottom front should mate to a small peg of some sort on the camera body.

The peg is missing on my camera. In fact, you can open the back without even turning the catch to the open position. There is about 1mm of play between how it currently closes and how tightly it can close.

Perhaps I can fit a small screw in there with the head ground down to replace the peg. I'm not even sure what the original looked like as it's not something that gets shown in pics of the camera.

Could this be the culprit? (And yes, I do plan on getting a real CLA but I'd like to use the camera for now if I can while I save my money up)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin