Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,969   Online: 739

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I saw this auction today: http://cgi.ebay.de/NEU-Reflexspiegel...-/320543055904

Expensive though.

I had the mirror in my 4x4 Rolleiflex and one from a Rolleicord resilvered (plus a protective SiO2 coating) maybe ten years ago. The small Rolleiflex had a special thin mirror, so I wanted to use the original. Maybe there are companies that resilver telescope mirrors in Portugal or Spain? They should be able to do it.

Here's an american optical coating company: http://www.clausing.com
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Multi Format
    seethroughmirrors has various thickness on glass as well as plastic. I believe they're all aluminum coatings now.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Edmund Optics sells these

Edmund Optics, a catalog company specializing in optical stuff, has all kinds of front-surface mirrors available. they'll do custom sizes, and offer a variety of coatings including aluminum, silver, gold and other materials, also 'protected' versions of some of those (which have a microscopic coating on them to prevent damage). Prices seem reasonable. I'd highly recommend starting there. I am sure they could come up with something that would be an exact replacement.

-Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Silence,The weltaflex is a bit darker than my Rolleiflex automat, but no darker than other standard ground glass screens, I can focus indoors under normal room light without any problems,Maybe the mirror in yours caused the screen to look darker than normal, as regards the mirror, it was an old Voightlander that I rfeplaced, and I have yet to have an out of focus shot yet with the lens stopped down,it would work as an emergency mesure,at least,Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    JPD, the mirror in that auction is more expensive than the camera was... But I have to say that if the image on the ground glass is supposed to appear like the one in the auction, than I'm really way off, even before the ruined mirror...
    Also, it would be easier if I had any idea how "resilvering" is said in portuguese or spanish... lol...

John, I had already checked out that website, but the thinner they go in glass trapezoid mirrors is 1/8'' and that is still too thick... I contacted them anyway to see if they do custom work.

Ed, I'm checking out their catalogue right now...

Thanks for the help, everyone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Edmund Optics, a catalog company specializing in optical stuff, has all kinds of front-surface mirrors available. they'll do custom sizes, and offer a variety of coatings including aluminum, silver, gold and other materials, also 'protected' versions of some of those (which have a microscopic coating on them to prevent damage). Prices seem reasonable. I'd highly recommend starting there. I am sure they could come up with something that would be an exact replacement.

-Ed
    Second on that. I have used the various Edmund stock materials for a number of reconditioning and/or restoration projects. You will need a decent micrometer to determine the EXACT thickness of the original material.
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin