Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,706   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mirror damage...

First of all, let me say that right now I feel like an idiot because I should have seen this coming...

I just bought a Weltaflex and since it was pretty dusty, I decided to do a basic overall cleaning. All went well until I saw that the mirror was very dusty and had the brilliant idea of cleaning it with a wet cloth...

Let's just say that after wiping it I was left with a piece of transparent glass stuck to my "new" camera, and a bunch of rotten silver on my cloth.

So now I obviously get no image on the finder

Is there any way to "resilver" the mirror? Or fix it in any way... Or do I really have to buy a new mirror and cut it into the shape of the old one?

Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm thinking replacement. I just replaced a small front surface mirror about 30X85mm the cost with shipping was about $15.00 US. That included cutting to the size I needed.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Measure the mirror and see if this one might work- http://www.uscamera.com/yashicatlr1005.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you John and Dan.

I'll have to measure the mirror when I get home... It would be great if those Yashica mirrors would fit, at least they're not very expensive...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it makes you feel any better, I once broke the mirror of a Rolleiflex while trying to clean it.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    here's a thought - might be crazy.

Have you ever taken apart an old flat screen monitor? If you do try it, you end up with several layers of interesting material - clear, frosted, thick, thin, and (in the one I did anyway) a layer of perfectly front surfaced mirror on a thinnish plastic substrate. You could easily cut and stick it to the bad mirror. Could you get it flat enough - I don't know. Would it be permanent or just a temporary fix until you could find the correct part, again I don't know. just a thought - dead monitors are all over the place...........

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I once broke a mirror in an old tlr,Not a weltaflex although I have one and like it a lot, but my awnser was a ladies small make up mirror, cost me around 2 GBP, cut to size and fix in place it works a treat,Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Richard, the problem with that option is that regular mirrors will induce focusing errors, because of the layer of glass above the reflecting surface... I would need a front surface mirror, like the original one, which is a bit harder to find...

Btw, and since you mention you also have a Weltaflex... do you find the ground glass image really dark? Unless I have huge amounts of light I can't get a visible image (from the little experience I had before "cleaning" the mirror).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Replacing mirror with not-exact-replacement mirror will cause the same problem.... When you have your mirror down and focus, you are focusing your lens from your optics, bouncing off mirror, onto ground-glass. This distance from optics to GG via mirror surface is critical. If it's little off, say, varying thickness of the base glass that silver is sticking to, then focus will need to be readjusted. Otherwise, focus to GG and focus to film won't be identical.

By the way, I really don't think you caused the damage by wiping the mirror. The damage was already there. If silver came off THAT easily, it would have flaked off sooner than later.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for making me feel less guilty, tkamiya... hehe... The mirror was already somewhat damaged, but I still could see an image, now I can't see sh*t...

I was informed that it's actually a special coating of aluminum, and not actual silver... more fragile, I guess...

I'm doing my best to find an identical front surface mirror, with the same dimensions, including thickness... It's proving to be hard

I heard of a gentleman around here who services/repairs cameras... I'm gonna see if he can do something about this... otherwise I'll look for places online who do custom work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin