Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,039   Online: 834

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Hasselblad meter 52051 on a 501cm? Acute Matte D compensation? Usability?

I have a Hasselblad 501cm and recently purchased the Hasselblad 52051 prism finder for less than 50 bucks. I took a risk at such a good price. Some reviews online have stated that it works on the 500 series cameras but not the 503...but what about the 501? I haven't received my PX 625 battery yet to try it out but am wondering what kind of adjustments I need to make to account for metering through the Acute Matte D glass. Any recommendations/thoughts on using this meter? Is it a good meter?

The meter I'm referring to is specifically this one:
    http://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pd...ism_finder.pdf

Kindly,
    JWJ

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a good one and use it on my 501cm with really good result.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The thing can be used on all V-System Hasselblads, except the 200-series cameras that have a display in the viewfinder (202, 203 205).

The difference in brightness between the old (pre-Acute Matte) and the new (Acute Matte) screens is 1 stop.
    So if you are using an Acute Matte screen in your camera, you need to set a 1 stop slower film speed.

Don't assume, by the way, that because your camera is a 503 (or 501, or ...) that there is an Acute Matte screen inside. Screens are interchangeable, and they get swapped round a lot. So what type/vintage a camera is says nothing about what type screen it has. Even 500C and 500EL cameras, without a user interchangeable screen, may have been fitted with Acute Matte screens. And newer models are often sold with an old type screen inside (so that the Acute Matte can be sold separately, for too much money).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Excellent! I'm faily certain I have the acute matte glass based on visually comparing it to what is on www.Hasselblad.com, but otherwise I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the difference. 1 stop difference is just what I was hunting for. I'll have to experiment with actual film and development but its a good start. So just to make sure, I need to compensate by setting my film 1 stop slower because the acute matte glass provides more light to my eye (artificially brighter). Sound about right?

Wonderful help. Thank you both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, because the meter is receiving a stop more light than it is calibrated for, which means you'll be a stop under exposed if you don't compensate.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin