Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,292   Online: 877

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Maybe i should seek the help of a psychotherapist, but i do worry about it.
    Confession: I tape the slot when the sun is out strongly. Help is on its way. I hope. Maybe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently had similar problem to sandermarijn's where the darkslide caught the mylar and shoved it into the magazine in front of the film.
    Even with that it didn't leak much, I just had an outline of the seal on my negatives. A very annoying failure, because I couldn't insert the slide enough to remove the magazine.

I wasn't sure which ebay sellers of light seals were ok so I called Hasselblad USA, and found out they could sell me seals for about 1$ more than the ebay sellers, and they showed up in the mail the next day.

So far, I've not found the mythical sheets of suitable foam in a hobby store, but Hasselblad made it reasonably painless to get replacements.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On the matter of an alternative material to replace the foil, I have something in hand that looks promising. It is the pouch that held the coffee pack for the little coffee maker in the hotel room where we stayed recently. This pouch is a laminate of foil and plastic, seems to have appropriate stiffness, and, most important, resists tearing. There must be other things, perhaps medicinal patches, that are packaged with foil-plastic laminate material. Since all my seals are newly installed I won't be trying this any time soon, but if others do I hope they will let us know how it worked.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    the problem with light seals occure faster when you put away the camera with the darkslide in the back. If you leave the back onto the camera and the darkslide is out, the seal will stay longer healthy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried a seal kit from eBay and didn't have much luck, it still leaked but not as bad, so I sent the back to David Odess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These seals are okay, but go with OEM ones. What you don't get with this cheaper kit is a foil strip on the foam that the OEM ones do have. If you use IR film, it will likely fog without the foil strip... Trust me how I know. If you change them every other year, the OEM ones are perfect....
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    So far, I've not found the mythical sheets of suitable foam in a hobby store, but Hasselblad made it reasonably painless to get replacements.
    I, personally speaking, probably wouldn't use it for my Hassy, but I have for other cameras...

One of the mythical foams is brand named "Foamies" and is available in 2mm thickness, with or without stick-um on one side. The sheets are something like 6 sq inches, maybe 8. They come in a myriad of colors, but I've only used black. Best source is not a hobby shop, but an arts-and-crafts shop like Michael's or JoAnn Fabric.

Perhaps there are other mythical foams, too!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What can and will happen with OEM seals too is that the foams you get are old.
    New old stock is no good when these thingies are concerned.
    You think you're back is fine because you just put freshly acquired foam in it. But the acquisition being fresh does not necessarily mean that the foam too is fresh.

One more reason why i like to cut my own.

And i'm happy to be able to report that those mythical foams are very real, and really should not be hard to find.

The foil strip below the foam pad, Andrew, is not there to seal the slot against IR. It doesn't reach up far enough to seal the slot. It's there to push the foam up. A "blade spring", if you will.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the OEM does not fog IR film the cheapy ones do... The only difference is the foil. Just saying.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm not disputing that, Andrew.
    But it could be something else that is responsible, could it not?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin