Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,388   Online: 800

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

hasselblad light seals.

has anybody bought from this guy on ebay??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HASSELBLAD-TRA...#ht_751wt_1137

or can anybody recommend somewhere else i can get some??

many thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have. The seals work well, although they are not entirely indentical to the ones Hasselblad themselves use.

The original ones have a piece of curved metal underneath the mylar (if this is mylar at all). This metal strip pushes the foam upwards against the magazine cover, thus creating a light lock.

This one from ebay does not have a metal strip underneath mylar but relies solely on the expanding properties of the (slightly thicker than original I think) foam to form the seal.

I am sure both methods work equally well. I myself did cut off a piece of the foam because I felt it didn't fit as well as it should. But maybe that's just me.

I could show you pictures but that would require opening up my backs and I'd rather keep them in their current state.

Maybe you can order original H'blad seals- those would be (much?) more expensive I'm sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is a useful link. It provides replacement instructions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Blackbird" is a decent guy.
    Though his foams may not be original ones, that should not be a problem (i cut my own too).

The more difficult bit to 'recreate', find an alternative for, is the foil. I don't know whether the ones this seller is offering are originals or not. If not, i would sure like to know where he gets the material from, because i would love to be able to make my foils mysefl too!

You do not have to change the foil, by the way, unless it is damaged. It's the foam bit (not mylar, Sander) that with time deteriorates.
    So keep using the foil, and try to make your own foams too!

I use a sheet of black fine, closed-cell foam, i bought at a hobby/crafts shop (for fellow dutchman, Sander: i got it at the local Pipoos. You should be able to find some). I'm not sure what it is called in English, but the stuff is called Moosgummi (moss rubber) in German. It's listed as Crepla rubber.
    I forgot what i paid for it when i got it, but it's now listed at 0.9 Euros for a 20x30 cm sheet.
    I guess i paid the same. Good for very, very many foams!

Shooter
    35mm
    I replaced some foam seals by using felt with sticky back. You can buy at most craft stores & it does come in various thickness. Having said this I am not familiar with Hasselblad. But thinking creatively can come up with a light box seal solution.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    It's the foam bit (not mylar, Sander) that with time deteriorates.
    I think you misread my post.

Incidentally, in my second-hand back the original Hasselblad 'mylar' was torn, while the foam was still fine. Don't ask me why ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    (for fellow dutchman, Sander: i got it at the local Pipoos. You should be able to find some).
    Thanks for the tip Q.G.

Some sources say that the light seals must be replaced every year, which seems a bit excessive to me. In case of amateurs like me, ten years sounds more reasonable.

I will check out that shop in ten years :rolleyes:

Wonderful site, your "Hasselblad Historical", Q.G.- I've used it for dating lenses and for the replacing of the light seals. Very useful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    I think you misread my post.
    That rings true. Sorry!

Incidentally, in my second-hand back the original Hasselblad 'mylar' was torn, while the foam was still fine. Don't ask me why ;-)
    I have had that happen myself. The foam gets changed regularly. But the foil does not.
    So when the foil does 'go', odds are good that the foam inside are not yet too old.

Thanks for the tip Q.G.

Some sources say that the light seals must be replaced every year, which seems a bit excessive to me. In case of amateurs like me, ten years sounds more reasonable.

I will check out that shop in ten years :rolleyes:

I bet you you will not. You will be looking for new seals much, much sooner.

The thing with the foam is that it's not wear through use only that makes it go bad.
    One thing that hastens its demise is being compressed a lot (so when the magazine is not in use, store it with the slide out).
    I don't know which is worse: being used a lot (lots of time with no slide compressing the foam, but lots of times that slides get inserted too) or only sparingly (lots of time that the foam is kept compressed - even though you migth store the magazine with slide out, you can't do that when there is film in the magazine. So unless you run through a roll completely the day you put it in, the slide will be in).

The other thing is pure and simple ageing. The foam will go bad all by itself.

So no matter what we do, no matter whether professional or not, the foam needs replacing regularly.
    Unless two things: one is that you would not care if you get light leaks on your film, since you do not need them to earn an income. The second is that you will not be using the camera at all for very long periods. Then you would only need to put new seals in every once in a long while, when you want to give the thing a go again.

So change seals regularly!
    I do very often (did so again last night, in fact), since it is a quick and easy job, and the stuff i use is so incredibly cheap.

Wonderful site, your "Hasselblad Historical", Q.G.- I've used it for dating lenses and for the replacing of the light seals. Very useful.
    It's not my site; it's a cooperative effort, a community thing.
    The people behind it are listed at the bottom of the "about" HasHis page.

But on behalf of us all: thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bet you you will not. You will be looking for new seals much, much sooner.

The thing with the foam is that it's not wear through use only that makes it go bad.
    I just went for a rainy bike ride (the brain seems more active then) and realised basically the same thing myself: light seals go to gue regardless of use, so no reason to assume that the amateur will have to replace less often than the hard-working professional.

That said, I do have (non-Hasselblad) cameras twenty years old whose seals are still perfectly fine and cushiony. The opening and closing of these cameras' backs should not be dissimilar to the insertion of the dark slide in a Hasselblad magazine. There may be different qualities of foam of course (not saying that Hasselblad foam is crap though!).

I guess I'm one of those silly amateurs who only replace their foam after they've lost a roll of once-in-a-lifetime pictures. Honestly, I'm too cheap to be deserving of a Hasselblad

Actually I do have a question that is not totally off-topic:

After I replaced the light seals of my second-hand A12 (from marktplaats.nl), I put it into the strong April-sun for an hour or so, with the orientation of the slit and the earth's rotation making sure that the light seal got *the* ultimate test. I did this with (otherwise) blank frames of 400 ASA film, and for several frames, varying slightly the orientation of the camera frame to frame.
    Some of these frames showed (very) slight fog. Very slight is a subjective qualification, but let me assure you that it was very slight indeed

Is this normal for a 'good' back? I am not really worried about it in real life, it's just that imperfection bothers me. Should a light seal be 100% tight? Or more like 99.99%? Academic maybe, but I'm curious (which is also an academic thing, yes).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [...] There may be different qualities of foam of course (not saying that Hasselblad foam is crap though!).
    Well... I tend to think that maybe it is. :o

[...] After I replaced the light seals of my second-hand A12 (from marktplaats.nl), I put it into the strong April-sun for an hour or so, with the orientation of the slit and the earth's rotation making sure that the light seal got *the* ultimate test. I did this with (otherwise) blank frames of 400 ASA film, and for several frames, varying slightly the orientation of the camera frame to frame.
    Some of these frames showed (very) slight fog. Very slight is a subjective qualification, but let me assure you that it was very slight indeed

Is this normal for a 'good' back? I am not really worried about it in real life, it's just that imperfection bothers me. Should a light seal be 100% tight? Or more like 99.99%? Academic maybe, but I'm curious (which is also an academic thing, yes).
    We would want it to be 100%, but i certainly never assume it is.
    So my gut feeling: 99.99% sounds more realistic.

Maybe i should seek the help of a psychotherapist, but i do worry about it.
    Or rather (no psychotherapist required after all, i think), i don't really worry, but don't take a chance either.
    I hate leaving stuff with light (and temperature) sensitive other stuff inside exposed to very bright light.
    So while i do keep an eye on how sunlight hits the dark slide slot, and try to prevent that happening, i have no qualms about using the thing in bright sunlight. But it goes back into the bag, or my self-produced shade, as soon as it doesn't need to be exposed to sunlight any longer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin