Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,629   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Purchasing a Hasselblad...USA vs.Sweden

Hello folks,

Looking for a 500 series body, 80 & 150mm lens, finder, a few backs, etc...

Was wondering about buying in the USA vs. buying in Sweden. I have found an interesting site in Sweden and am doing the conversion from Kroner to US Dollars.

Prices over there don't seem so bad...

Just wondering if anyone else has done the math and thinking.

Thanks!
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based on my real experience, both Samys on Fairfax in Los Angeles and KEH are competitive. KEH has more inventory and a better return policy. About half my equipment comes from each.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shipping is an issue though. Also, it's Kronor.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I worry about returns. If a camera, lens or back has an issue, the time, expense and hassle of the return would eat into your savings pretty quickly.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Personally, I worry about returns. If a camera, lens or back has an issue, the time, expense and hassle of the return would eat into your savings pretty quickly.

-Laura
    +1

I find it hard to get better prices on lenses and backs than with Keh. I used Georgeury.com when I bought my 500CM, he rates the condition of his used gear conservatively. Both give you an ample warranty for used gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The main reason I ask is because I will be *IN* Sweden for three weeks this summer. If there was a problem I would be able to (hopefully...), return the items to the seller.

The Kroner exchange doesn't worry me, since I'll be using them there anyway.

I have used KEH in the past and will heartily agree their service is amazing and every piece of gear I've ever gotten from them has exceeded expectation.

Thanks guys.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What site have you been looking at? Living in Sweden maybe I can tell you if it's someone you would like to do business with, or not.
    Sarah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade View Post
    As a frequent traveler to Europe, that statement... confuses me. Whether you exchange here, exchange there, exchange anytime or place, the conversion needs to be accounted for if you are making price a critical factor in your purchase. Whether you are there using Kronor, or buying from the states, the law of economics still applies.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you buy it in Sweden, you could get hit at U. S. Customs. Is the risk of that worth buying in Sweden and sending equipment back and forth over the Atlantic to save a few shelkels?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format

If you buy stuff from Europe and you're living in USA, you don't need to exchange $$$ in Kronors. You may stuff some of them onto your bank account before purchase but they'll be exchanged in dollars anyway once you hit 'bill me' button and then exchanged again into Kroners once they hit european banks. so, you loose some that way by exchanging them twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin