Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,614   Online: 798

Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya Pro Backs - Inserts Interchangeable?

Well since I will be having a surgery on Monday I have put my LF cameras to the side for a few months while I heal, just toting them around will be too much.

I just sprung for a Mamiya Pro body with AE finder, 120 back, Power Grip II, Polaroid back, Polaroid riser, electromagnetic cable release, and 55-110 & 105-210mm lenses.

Here is my issue, I want to buy some 120 inserts with cases so I can pre-load them rather than just have to buy a couple of whole backs. Now Adorama has some for $20 each but I am not sure that they will work, they say that they are for the Mamiya 645M body. They look the same but I don't want to buy them if they won't work.

Does anyone have this same camera and have bought just inserts like I am wanting to do? If so which ones did you buy? I appreciate your help.

Here is the one that is $20 with case. Insert

Here is the one that is the whole back. Back with insert

Really the question is... can I buy inserts for this camera or do I have to buy whole backs.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The inserts are interchangeable between all the Mamiya manual focus bodies and backs.

You just have to make sure to avoid inserts from the Auto-focus cameras.

I expect that the "M645" (not 645M) in the Adorama listings is their shorthand for the manual focus Mamiya 645 line.

PS - good luck with the surgery!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! That is all I needed to know! Will save me a bundle by just buying the inserts with cases. I can just pop them in and put the exposed one back in the empty case. Will save space too. Thanks Matt!
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    Good to know that the inserts are interchangeable. I was under the impression that the later 645 models with the interchangeable backs had a different type of insert in them. I ave a M645, and hope to pick up a second, more modern, body at some point.

Also, KEH has the 120 inserts for less than $20, some even as low as $8 in EX condition. I ordered two a while back from them and both came with the case.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Do you want to sell your polaroid riser?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin