Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,952   Posts: 1,586,002   Online: 813

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fortunately, I have never had a shutter jam with either of my 30+ year-old SL66's. However, I did send both of them to Jurgen shortly before he returned to Germany from the US, and was very impressed with his work and honesty. He worked on Brett Weston's 66's also.

If you find a simple solution, hope you will post it.

Regards,

Merg Ross

mergross.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Wishy,

I am pretty sure that I can tell you what happened to your cam. The SL66 backs have on their right side (or left depending which way you look at them obviously ) a little gear which engage into another on the body to make sure, the film can be transported. This must be in a certain position when the back is put onto the body. If not, it will jam the shutter. So the basic rule of using a SL66 is: Never do anything without the shutter being cocked!
    You will have to get the back from the camera. Unfortunately (or fortunately, it's not a bug but a sophisticated feature) this can only be done with the darkslide in. In the jammed state you will probably not get it all the way in. For this situation the repairsmen have a special darkslide with a recess area on the right side where the gear is. Sometimes these show up on ebay but I think you can build one for yourself if you manage to find some steel similar to the original darkslide. IIRC the recess is about 5mm and nearly half the way up on the right side (the side where the gear is). No warranty from my side though. If you screw it up, you are on your own. Once you have the back off there is a little drawing beneath the gear indicating which way the gear has to be turned manually to get it into the correct position. Cock the shutter, put the back on and enjoy shooting again.

Ulrich

PS: There's a certain kind of squeegees made of very thin steel which in German are called for some reason China Spachtel. I just had a look it is 0.35mm thick. The Darkslide is 0.45mm. You may need to get to a professional supplier. These squeegees you can get from your home improvement store are made from plastic nowadays and are too thick. If I would be desperate enough I would try to cautiously push this squeegee in on the side of the gear just about 4 to 5 mm from the edge just enough that it gets clear from the little lever. It helps if you have a second back to look and test how it works. If you manage to get it in you will be able to push the release button of the back all the way in. Otherwise it will be blocked half way.
    Last edited by Ulrich Drolshagen; 06-13-2010 at 05:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Suggestions?

Get a Hasselblad!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JRJacobs View Post
    Suggestions?

Get a Hasselblad!
    And you'll have one more opportunity to jam the shutter

Ulrich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ulrich - Didn't see your first reply.

You can actually get a standard darkslide in if you've got to locked part way through, there is a lot of resistance but i think its designed so you know your doing something wrong but can continue to do it anyway.

The back was on properly and fully wound, the trouble is during a normal firing the mirror is stuck in the up position and the system won't wind.

JRJacobs - As far as I'm aware a hassie of this age would have similar serviceability vs the rolleiflex. You swap problems with the shutter on the body for problems with the shutter on the lens, but the mirror system is equally complex.
    Lets face it, any medium format SLR has large and complex moving parts.

If i wanted something that i could guarantee wouldn't give me any trouble I'd use my F3. But i want the image rendition and general feel you get from medium format, and i want square format.

noumin
    From what I´ve heard - the earlier models i.e. serial number up to 291xxxx were having problems with the mirror not returning, from serial number 291xxxx onwards they were upgraded internally - but again, hearsay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mines 2900895, a very early one. I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing it was such an early model

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also heard that a hard thump to the bottom (holding the camera rightways) can make the mirror come down....ofcourse at your own risk
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have given it a tap onto my mousemat, thats as much as i dare do!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Have given it a tap onto my mousemat, thats as much as i dare do!
    wise call
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin