Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,452   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleiflex SL66 shutter jam - Any suggestions

Hi,

I've managed to jam my SL66. Don't think i did anything wrong, the last wind was complete, but none the less the mirror has locked up, the shutter release doesn't do anything and the winding mechanism is locked as if the shutter was wound.

Second time its happened, last time it went to Brian Mickleboro who got it back running nicely, but he's off on holiday at for the next few weeks, so willing to give things a go myself. Has anybody got any suggestions to get it back operational?

Leaves a bit of a bitter taste it happening a second time, i bought this to replace a Zenith 80 for German reliability, but never mind - its done now. A second body isn't going to be cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have any sense leave it alone, and give it a professional to service is my best advice.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I generally draw the line at anything that requires I take a cover off, however as its a bit of a regular occurrence at the moment I just through I'd ask the around here to see if anybody had any experience and knew how complex the job might be.

Images
    I would e-mail Jürgen Kuschnik, who is an expert on this camera. jurgenkus at yahoo dot com

noumin
    I don´t know what your qualifications are, but I trying to repair an SL66 by oneself is a job I wouldn´t dare doing.

As your in Europe, you might want to send it to Juergen Kuschnik (http://www.jurgenkuschnik.com/) here in Germany. He took care of my SL66 which locked up completely and gave it a new life. You say that it happened for the second time, then I would tell him to give camera a close inspection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jurgen is very good with these I know, but Brian is UK based and has been doing rollei repairs for a good while. Seems a bit daft not to try doing it under warranty if its a complex job.
    If it carries on doing it I'll send it over to Juergen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Leaves a bit of a bitter taste it happening a second time, ...
    Even the best cameras jam at sometime. They are complex pieces of machinery.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The SL66 is like a vintage clock, so I would not mess with it. Sounds like if it's under warranty, that's another good reason not to mess with it and send it to Brian when he returns. Have you tried to see whether engaging mirror lock up switch then trying firing the shutter works?
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Images
    I did have one jam up one time and it was a spring that needed to be replaced, which Jürgen did. While several people in the US are willing to work on this camera and are at least somewhat familiar with it, very few have a stock of proper replacement parts. Really though, what a superb camera.

Images
    Also, while you are waiting for your repair person to return from vacation for warranty repair, you could still e-mail Jürgen in case there might be a simple sequence of moves you could try. If there is a non-invasive trick to freeing up a minor jam, I am sure he would be happy to tell you about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin