Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,858   Online: 1111

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Bruges

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bruges is famous with Gothic Architecture. Look for big , thick , Belgian Gothic books and learn where you can hunt for photography.
    I found there were many books on Belgian Gothic at my university and they were matchless.
    I think carrying a SLR with a power tele will close you to document atchitectural details and fill the colummns fill the frame. If you can rent a Leica , you could be the happy man if you are interested in dıocumenting quality with quality.
    Belgium have a extremelly wide palettes of beers and learn the list of oldest and best abbeys to taste and photograph the environment.
    They have extensive needle work tradition and you can want to document it.
    And their philatelic history is so great.
    Instrument museums and art museums are worth to document interior decoration of a Ruckers clavichord or photograph a Bruegel the Elder.
    I dont think you can have time and oppurtinity to take these masterpices details and prepare some money to acquire art history books . I dont think your photographs will match with these catalogs.
    If I were you , I put my expensive air ticket money in to buying books. It will take couple of years to learn their history , art history , traditions , language , literature and than you can make your trip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, thanks for all the hints and tips. I'll be there a few days so I should be able to explore the town in great detail.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Go to Ghent, that's a far more interesting city then Bruges and less tourists. I call Bruges Little Tokyo because of all the Japanese who go there. Being from Ghent myself I know that my home city is much more interesting because it's larger, less fake and less overcrowded. And it's only about 30miles from Bruges.
    Sure, I could give you a boring explanation who I really am but I rather let the Origami do the talking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the train access to Ghent pretty easy?

Thanks for the tip!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Is the train access to Ghent pretty easy?

Thanks for the tip!
    If you take the intercity train direction GenK or Tongeren Ghent is 1 stop further and Brussels 2 stops. Runs every hour.

-m-
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Goose View Post
    Go to Ghent, that's a far more interesting city then Bruges and less tourists. I call Bruges Little Tokyo because of all the Japanese who go there. Being from Ghent myself I know that my home city is much more interesting because it's larger, less fake and less overcrowded. And it's only about 30miles from Bruges.
    It's also decidely less "picture postcard beautiful" than Brugge.

Which is why the tourists all flock to Brugge, 'die scone', of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ***Word of Warning***

Avoid the pubs... at all costs.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd recommend watching the film 'In Bruges' before going, it's hilarious. But also take lots of film it's better to go over prepared and have to bring unfinished rolls back then run out halfway through your holiday! maybe try taking photos that aren't the postcard cliché and get something new! It's all up to you really

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assume VaryaV meant "DON'T avoid the pubs"... :-)

Belgian beer, IMHO, is the best in the world (at the national level; there are a couple of American beers that I like better, but our team performance is dragged down by the lousy mass-produced lagers). There are reasonable people who would argue for Germany or the Czech Republic instead, but...they're wrong.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I have the movie "In Bruges" which is why I titled the thread. And you can be certain I'll visit a pub or two and sample some of the chocolates. I'm sure I'll come back a bit heavier than when I left.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin