Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,632   Posts: 1,648,019   Online: 870

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I love pentax 67 but there are some cons. I bought a P67, love everything on this camera except the dim viewfinder. It is dimmer than most 35mm VF and I had a hard time to focus. I sold it and buy a P67II. Absolutely love it! I feel the VF is smaller than older model but way brighter. Plus it has matrix and spot metering capability. I'm a small guy and do not have large hand but never have problem with P67 vibration so far.
    I took this picture with P67 and 55mm f4 lens handheld at 1/60. Can still see the seam on the fabric.

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pentax 67 equipment ( like other MF equip ) is dirt cheap and the results can be stunning. I loved my set up and it used it for about 10 years. The lenses, almost across the board, are excellent. The camera is easy to use. Yes, its a bit big and you do need to be careful about mirror shake/slap, but I used to use the camera with 165/2.8 and 400 speed film handheld all the time. I wrote a page on the Pentax 67 lenses years ago...see http://www.antiquecameras.net/pentax6x7lenses.html

Good luck

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    90% of total surface is not so dramatic : it means a little more than 1mm on each side ; compared with the huge 56x72 frame dimensions, in my opinion it's negligible (somehow like 53x69). The issue may be that you don't see well the four corners of the image from not near enough to the eyepiece ? Are you wearing glasses ? I could not view full frame with my glasses, so I had the eyepiece stricly corrected for my sight to be able to frame full view with my "naked" eyes.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For 6x7 I've just started assembling a Koni-Omega kit. Rangefinder, not an SLR. I believe that there are fewer options available for the Koni-Omega, but I do like rangefinders better myself. Just a personal preference.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I used a set of 67II's for years. With the mirror lockup my 6x7 neg images were confused for images created with a 4x5 negative. Quite nice.

I loved the 45mm wide angle lens the most.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax 6x7

I have a few of these giant SLRs and shoot them more than anything.

Pentax SMC lenses are second to few (in my opinion). The 6x7 neg will give you sharper images over the smaller 120 formats.

Yes, you can shoot a 67 by hand! I shoot the 67 mostly by hand on the street and during journalistic type work.

It does take some time to learn how to load film on the fly. Mirror lockup is a must if you shoot slower than 1/60. I heavy tri-pod is needed, for example, a Bogen 3036 with a 3047 head.

Great Fun!

I was asked once on the street how many mega-pixels the camera was. I told the guy 500, but it only holds 10 pictures per memory chip. I proceeded to show the person a roll of film. I got the deer in the head lights look in return.

Cheers!

TIM

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd love to hear some opinions on the 90% coverage. I am deciding between a Pentax 6x7/67/67ii, and a Mamiya RB67. Both different shooting experiences, I realize, I'd prefer the eye-level shooting of the Pentax, but the 90% coverage is off-putting.
    How does the character of the lenses compare as well? I'm sure both are sharp, but is there any difference in how the images look beyond that?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timtheskeetshooter View Post
    I was asked once on the street how many mega-pixels the camera was. I told the guy 500, but it only holds 10 pictures per memory chip. I proceeded to show the person a roll of film. I got the deer in the head lights look in return.

You can actually hold 21 500mp images on the 220 memory roll.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by apconan View Post
    I'd love to hear some opinions on the 90% coverage. I am deciding between a Pentax 6x7/67/67ii, and a Mamiya RB67. Both different shooting experiences, I realize, I'd prefer the eye-level shooting of the Pentax, but the 90% coverage is off-putting.
    How does the character of the lenses compare as well? I'm sure both are sharp, but is there any difference in how the images look beyond that?
    I have a P67 and I am a very careful full frame composer type guy and I actually hardly notice the other 10%. I keep in mind when shooting that I can compose tight to the edges and the little extra I get is for security.
    dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using the Pentax 67II for some years now and it is a wonderfully built workhorse. If you don't mind the weight, it's a beauty as a field camera. The myth you can't hand hold this camera is completely untrue, I've handheld this camera without mirror lockup down to 1/60 with fast film and the images are tack sharp. I use the Pentax 67II with the 55 -100mm zoom, lens, and it can get the forearms pumped up handheld in portrait mode. Other than that, it can't beat in its class for versatility and the cost of lenses and accesories. The AE meter that is spot on. I also have Mamiya 7ii for travelling light and at times I have a constant battle over which camera take out to shoot.
    A Pentax 67 MLU go for pretty cheap now on the bay and there is tons of accessories to go with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin