Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,853   Online: 947

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Am I on the right track...Pentax 67?

I was thinking about selling my Mamiya m645 1000s with 45, 55, 80, 150, & 210 along with my crown graphic with ektar 127 & rodenstock geronar 210. In their place I'm thinking about buying a Pentax 67 setup. I know I will not miss the m645. I'm not sure about the 4x5. Even though I've only shot maybe 8 sheets during the last year. Any opinions on the Pentax 67?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's big but it's good. The negatives are significantly larger than the 6x4.5 you're used to but significantly smaller than your Crown Graphic can manage.

The movements of 4x5 are what distinguish it, in my opinion. That's something you can't replicate on the Pentax. Then again, the Pentax is a lot easier to use.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax 67??

I have several lf cameras, and I always use a tripod. That said, my 67II is a lot of fun. We were in the mountains last week near a big paper mill, and I got some great night shots with the 67 using the auto exposure. I think the portablility vs the LF is the thing. I don't do very much handheld shots as i primarily do landscape and architecture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a tripod almost all the time with my m645, so I would do the same with the 6x7. Also, I have not used the movements with my 4x5. I think I might shoot more with the 4x5 to just make sure I can do without it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you should dump the 645(35mm on steroids) for the much larger negative size. However, you should keep the Crown Graphic. I've always wanted a Pentax 67, now I want the 67II.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Pentax is nice-- but why not just move into a Mamiya RB or RZ?
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had a RB & did not like the depth of view scale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have both - a Mamiya Pro TL system with 3 lenses (45, 80, 150); and the Pentax 67 with two lenses (90, 165). The above posters who mentioned the larger negative/chrome size are correct; it is a significant upgrade, particularly if you shoot E-6 like I do. Properly exposed 67 chromes are something to behold when you have a good loupe to match.

IMHO, the Mamiya lenses are sharper. If you shoot your 645 handheld at all, you will miss the portability with the Pentax. I have tried to shoot with the Pentax handheld, and even using the MLU and relatively higher speeds, it is quite challenging to get pinpoint sharpness. So it is basically a tripod only deal.

Both are wonderful systems, but even though I think the Mamiya lenses are finer, I have not used the Mamiya since I got the Pentax. For me, the tradeoff benefits of the 67 framesize makes all the difference in the world.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 6X7 and I really like it, it takes wonderful photos with as much or as little depth of field as you want, and focus so sharp you could almost cut yourself. There is plenty of resolution for cropping, and it might just be me, but I think the colors look better, it may just be that I shoot crappy 35mm film so don't take my word on the color thing.

You may hear complaints about shake, but I have never even put mine within less than 3 feet of a tripod and I have only had a problem once with 160 film indoors at night without a flash. Generally with a 6X7 if your photos are blurred, you moved it is not the mirror. Don't blame the tool.

Also contrary to what you might hear, it does not weigh a ton, it just starts to feel like that after you carry it around in your hands for a while. This is not a camera you want to just get and go hiking with, you will get used to it, but it may take time, I was out in the woods hiking with mine within a few weeks, your actual mileage may vary. If you are carting that Crown around, the Pentax will be slightly more compact, I don't know about weight difference between the Crown and the Pentax.

If you do get the Pentax I highly recommend the hand grip, the strap lugs, and a good strap for it, you might think you don't need them, but trust me you do.

You may want to keep that Crown Graphic a little longer, or until you can replace it with a 4X5 field camera, you may miss that big negative.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a love-hate relationship with my Pentax 67. It is a beautifully made camera with sharp optics that produce wonderful images. And it can be used hand-held without much difficulty. The challenge for me is to compose using every bit of the 7cm width when shooting. This is difficult since only about 90% of the frame is visible in the viewfinder. I find a lot of my shots are more 6x6 than 6x7! Also, changing film is slower and more tedious than on any other 120 camera I've used. I really miss the convenience of the film inserts on my other 120 SLRs. Actually, nowadays I mainly use the 6x7 lenses on my Pentax 645n, which I consider the best 120 camera I've ever owned. But I'll never sell my 67!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin