Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,275   Online: 1008

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have an isolette II and it's great. I always use fast film with fast developers so I can shoot at f/22 or f/32 in the daylight, and still have f/11 in the evening. I also had to draw completely new distance markings on the focusing ring, calibrating it by holding ground glass on the film gate. The original markings were off quite a bit.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I have an isolette II and it's great. I always use fast film with fast developers so I can shoot at f/22 or f/32 in the daylight, and still have f/11 in the evening. I also had to draw completely new distance markings on the focusing ring, calibrating it by holding ground glass on the film gate. The original markings were off quite a bit.
    Interesting. Could be that a previous owner disassembled the lens and didn't put the front cell back at the correct angle.

Folders, like TLRs, are just plain *fun* to shoot with, and it's only partly because other people think they look cool. Based on what I've read here at APUG, I think there are a lot of us who find them naturally complementary.

My two Rolleis, Wirgin Auta, and Nettar all sit more or less together in a single cabinet; if I get up for a glass of water at night, I sometimes hear them muttering familiarly to one another in German. :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Great info all around!

I like the comments on winding and film flatness. I hadn't thought about those points.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My favorites are the Zeiss Ikon Ikonta and Super Ikonta. I've not encountered any film flatness issues with them. Or at least none that I've noticed.

But I'm not a bokeh FREAK, so I tend to shoot these stopped down.

And my two favorites are from 1936 and 1937.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting. Could be that a previous owner disassembled the lens and didn't put the front cell back at the correct angle.
    No; it was literally impossible to align the standard marks. The marked numbers were spaced with the wrong scale, so you could set it to be accurate at low distances, but then it was off near infinity, or vice versa. I initially set it so that the infinity mark was lined up when the camera was actually infinity focused (by looking at the ground glass) but then the close distances were way off. I think that the manufacturer set it up so that when adjusted to "infinity" at the factory ithe camera was actually set up to some hyperfocal distance, but of course, hyperfocal distance varies with aperture, so there's no telling which aperture they chose to represent their hyperfocal distance. I would rather be able to know what the focus really is and set it myself. I covered the marks with a ring I made out of a standard white sticky label and made my own marks which are exactly correct. Much better.
    f/22 and be there.

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chris00nj View Post

I picked up a late model Ikonta 6x9 for $75, but no rangefinder and 75/3.5 Novar (3 element lens).

Hi,
    Did you really get a 6x9 with a 75mm lens (so wide-angle)? I would love a folder like that!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No, that wouldn't be possible. The 6x9 cameras had a lens in the 105mm-110mm range. The 6x4.5 and 6x6 models had lenses in the 70mm-80mm range.

The shortest lens that I've seen on a production 6x9 Zeiss Ikon camera has been the Box Tengor, which has a 90mm lens. And that's a simple achromat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    My Bellows Camera of choice is a Kodak Brownie Autographic #2. I don't worry about Film flatness. it leaks like a sieve, although I think I found the problem now. The viewfinder is dim, and lousy and only provides general information, focus is by guess. The shutter and aperture settings are sort of close to right, and I sometimes forget to adjust them before taking a photo. I have two of these cameras. Why do I put up with these things? Some of the best photographs I have ever taken were with these cameras, I don't know if people relax more with the look of them or what, but I tend to get good shots with them.

I say that if you already have a Medium format camera that you can do really quality work with when you want or need to, then get yourself a budget folder and enjoy it, they can be a lot of fun, and attract a lot of attention as well.
    The fix for bellows leaks(pinholes and very small holes/tears) is liquid electrical tape. Just paint on one or two thin coats, and no more light leaks. Its very flexible and even works on cheap paper bellows. Best part is its cheaper than replacing the bellows. I just finished the bellows on my Speedex Jr. and the results are fantastic. Now if I can get the shutter working...
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    No, that wouldn't be possible. The 6x9 cameras had a lens in the 105mm-110mm range. The 6x4.5 and 6x6 models had lenses in the 70mm-80mm range.

The shortest lens that I've seen on a production 6x9 Zeiss Ikon camera has been the Box Tengor, which has a 90mm lens. And that's a simple achromat.
    I thought it was too good to be true! I have a Zeiss Ikonta 520 (6x4.5) with a 7cm tessar which is the widest I could find. Its the folder I use the most. If they had produced more wide-angle lenses, I would use folders much more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    The fix for bellows leaks(pinholes and very small holes/tears) is liquid electrical tape. Just paint on one or two thin coats, and no more light leaks. Its very flexible and even works on cheap paper bellows. Best part is its cheaper than replacing the bellows. I just finished the bellows on my Speedex Jr. and the results are fantastic. Now if I can get the shutter working...
    At a camera fair in April (in the UK) there was a box of Bellows £2 each set ($2.90) for a wide variety of 120 & smaller folding cameras being sold off. My guess is this was old stock from Glanville's (later became Camera Bellows, now Custom Bellows) who had the contracts for Kodak's bellows in the UK and possibly export as well.

So cheap replacements are available.

Ian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin