Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,876   Online: 1128

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is a rollei 6x6 projector for sale around the corner. I think for about $60.
    I was considering buying it but I was think that a scan and display on a HDTV would probably be just as good, if not better.
    Thoughts?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've got an old one, feed one at a time, dodgy fan, but projects wonderfully. I've used it to rephotograph some transparencies.

Darin: $60? I wouldn't hesitate.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    There is a rollei 6x6 projector for sale around the corner. I think for about $60.
    I was considering buying it but I was think that a scan and display on a HDTV would probably be just as good, if not better.
    Thoughts?
    A really good scan, on a good HDTV, will look nice.

A projected slide, on a good screen will look better.

And if you want to project bigger, on a bigger screen, most of the digital projectors really struggle.

At $60.00, if it is in working condition, BUY IT.

I have a Rollei P66S projector, that I paid $200.00 CDN for.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rollei P 66 universal I paid £40 about twenty three years ago second hand the quality that it can produce from modern 120 slide films on a 60"X60" screen is amazing.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone ever had the guts to do polarized-3D 6x6 projections??? You might find yourself walking into the screen if you're not careful!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Thoughts?
    Do you think even a 60" HDTV image with 1920x1000 resolution could ever equal a 60" projected slide?! Digital cameras like the 7D have 5184 pixels but a HDTV only can show 37% of the resolution of a good digital camera!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I dunno..
    It's not all about resolution you know.
    If you are projecting slides, I believe color, brightness, and contrast are just as important as resolution.

Frankly I was not all that impressed with my 35mm slides of Kauai projected.
    But perhaps MF projected would be much better?
    Last edited by darinwc; 06-18-2010 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Medium format slides need to be in glass mounts to stop them "popping from the heat of the projection lamp, and there is also such a large area of film that it needs to be kept flat to ensure the edges of the image are sharp.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At $60.00 for a 6X6 projector is a steal. Grab it & someone here would most likely take it off your hands.
    Face it, They are real uncommon.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Leitz Prado 6x6 projector with manual feed. It cost about $500 on ebay (5 years ago?) and has a superb, very uniform and bright illumination system together with a very good projection lens. It also runs cool using a halogen bulb (the cooling system is supposedly the same as the one in the Hasselblad projector), though the fan is a bit noisy. I don't use glass cover plates and do need to refocus between the center and edges of the image, though the slides don't "pop" very often (effective cooling system?).

Unfortunately, I use it rarely due to the nuisance of mounting slides and setting the thing up - I tend to look at the transparencies using a light table and loupe. As I get into home developing of E6, I think I will start using it more.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin